Weekends

HAYDEN ON THE SIDE

~Valentina~

Going home yesterday, I was a little happy. Talking with Mr. Jackson helped push all those thoughts of depression and suicide to a corner of my mind. I liked seeing him smile and laugh, I loved that I was the reason he was smiling and laughing. When I got home I didnt expect Miles to be waiting for me in the living room. I also didn't expect him to want to talk to me either.

Flashback

"Miss Beaumont, a word?"

Miles was standing beside the door, waiting for me to enter the house. He led me to the living room and like the gentleman he was, waited for me to sit before sitting himself. He stayed quiet for a few minutes, seeming to think about what he was going to say. I braced myself for more bas news because thats all I've been hearing since I learned about the move.

"Valentina" he sighed "I know what you have been through was excruciatingly painful, it still is. You've gone through many...hardships since moving here and looking at the girl sitting in front of me, I am so proud."

My eyes widened in surprise. How could he be proud of me?

"Proud? How can you be proud of me Miles? I was so stupid to even accept the invitation to that party. I was a fool and look where I am now." I whispered.

He smiled, a genuine, warm smile, and said,

" I am proud of you because you went through so much. You were hurt, physically and mentally, and yet here you are, sitting in front of me. Don't let what happened to you ruin you. Don't let them win, fight for yourself. Fight for your happiness because you deserve to be happy."

By this point I had tears in my eyes. I nodded, I did deserve to be happy. I deserved all the happiness I could get.

" Don't be afraid anymore. Don't hide behind the person you've become. Show them what you're made of. Show them that no one can push Valentina Beaumont around!"

I threw my arms around him, tears streaming down my face. We stayed like that for almost half an hour before I finally let him go. He was right and I wasnt going to hide behind my baggy clothes anymore. I am going to make friends and be who I was before I came here. I was going to be happy.
Flashback Over

Being who I was before was harder than I thought it would be. I decided to take it one day at a time. So I threw out all my baggy clothes and cleaned out my room. Finally there was only one thing left to do. I held the tape in my hands, the reason for my unhappiness and the bane of my existence, and I threw it to the floor. I stomped on it and threw it at the wall. I picked up my wooden bat and hit the tape over and over again until it was smashed into many little pieces, then I threw it out my window. I threw myself down on my bed, exhausted, and thought about my old life. What would I be doing on a Saturday afternoon, I asked myself.
I would be at the mall with my friends.
But I didnt have any friends here. I shook my head, then I would go alone. I took a shower and washed off all the sweat and memories. I needed a clean slate, a new start. I put on a pair of black skinny jeans, a light blue flowy blouse, and light blue lacy flats. The jeans felt so weird after wearing only sweatpants for weeks. The blouse felt tight against my chest and left my arms feeling bare so I grapped a black leather jacket and ran downstairs. I was about to grab my keys when I remembered that my car was taken away. I sighed, there goes my plans.

"Hello Miss Beaumont"

I jumped, startled, and turned around to look at Miles.

"Good Afternoon, Miles" I smiled.

" I was at your parent's house last night and couldn't help but notice this hanging behind the front door."

He said holding up a set of car keys in his hands.

"I feared you mother might misplace them while in one of her ... ah moods. So I merely took them for safekeeping. I think I'll just leave them here on the table and go tend to the gardens."

He put down the keys, then turned around and left. I smiled to myself, only Miles would dare take something from that witch's house. I picked up my keys and went into the garage where my Camero was placed. I sat in the drivers seat and just took in my car. The black, leather seats, the spotless mirrors, but what I missed the most was the smell. My car smelled like a rainforest. I could smell pine and mint with a hint of rain. It smelt like this when I got it and I loved it. I started up my car, listening to it purr for a few minutes, then sped out of the garage. I rolled down all the windows and laughed. I love driving. The mall was almost 10 miles from my house and I got there in an hour. I parked close to the entrance and locked the doors. It was Saturday and that meant alot of people were at the mall. They all watched me as I walked through the doors. Many people were shocked, I guess they were surprised to see me outside and of course my clothes. Clinging to the memory of Miles' speech, I held my head high and walked through the revolving doors. This was the first time I've ever been to the mall in this town and I was pleasantly surprised that it had a few well known shops like Victoria's Secrets and Macy's. I started off at Macy's and worked my way around the mall. A few hours later I was smiling and had almost 5 bags on each arm. I loved shopping, especially shoe shopping. I walked down to my car and put my bags in the trunk then went to the food court. I was starving and in the mood for tacos. Of course I went to Taco Bell. I ordered a small taco and sat down. I was still painfully skinny and I couldnt hold down much without throwing it back up. My nerves were jittery and my knee couldn't stop shaking. I hated being in the food court, it reminded me of the school cafeteria and I didn't have any good memories in that cafeteria. Just as I was about to leave, someone sat beside me.

"Hi"

I looked at him, he seemed very familiar. His black hair and brown eyes reminded me of somebody.

"I'm Hayden, and you are?"

He held out his hand. Hayden. This was the new student at school, the gay one.
I deserved to be happy. I deserve a friend.
With those thoughts, I smiled and shook his hand.

"I'm Valentina, but you can call me Val."

He smile turned into a grin and so did mine. It felt like this would be the start of a beautiful friendship.