EIGHT

THE two girls were lying in bed together that night in Lucia's bedroom, just talking, their voices at a whisper because they didn't want to wake Leah.

"No, that movie was totally stupid." Moon shook her head. "Except for that one girl, she was cute, but other than that it was the most dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life."

"It's just "dumbest." Lucia corrected.

"Huh?"

"It's not "most dumbest," it's just "dumbest" on its own."

Moon giggled. "You're so smart."

"Thank you."

Moon shifted closer to the girl, their bodies inches apart from each other.

Lucia took her hand and traced her finger over Moon's body starting with where her panties started and ended where her bra was.

"Holy shit." Moon muttered.

Lucia smiled and they kissed again like they did before.

Moon climbed on top of the girl and they made out for a while before pulling away and lying back down next to her.

"Wow."

"I know."

"Moon."

"Yeah?"

Lucia's heart pounded and she swallowed, mustering up the courage to say what she was about to say.

"I think I'm falling."

"What?"

Lucia looked over at Moon. "I think I'm falling."

Moon frowned and sighed. "Ci, this is all just pla...platonic, okay? Like I said, we can't be anything. I like boys."

"But Moon, we had sex, how...how is that platonic."

Moon sat up, Lucia following along.

"Because it didn't mean anything, okay? It all means nothing to me."

"Wow. Okay. It means nothing, great, got it."

"No, Lucia, that's not what I mean, I meant—."

"We fucking slept together! How does that mean nothing to you?"

"Because I don't like you like that, okay! And I never will! I like boys, get over it!"

Lucia pointed to her door. "Get out."

"Ci."

"I said get the hell out of my house!"

Moon collected all of her things and Lucia opened the door.

Moon walked to the door, pausing, giving the green-eyed girl a sad look before leaving.

Lucia slammed her bedroom door shut and sunk down to the floor, sobbing.

🌈

Lucia could barely focus the next day. Not on her practice test nor when they went to the park after the practice test.

Aisha, Miguel, and Demetri sat on a bench while Hawk and Bert threw a football around. Lucia was sitting on the floor, her head resting on Aisha's leg.

"Come on, eat something, it'll make you feel better." Demetri suggested.

"I told you I'm not hungry, man." Miguel replied.

"I still think you're overreacting."

"I'm not overreacting, dude. I know what I saw."

"Yeah, what Miguel said. Fuck relationships."