26 ➟ In which part of me considers falling in love.

I dragged my feet behind me, it was painful enough that I was working a full-time desk job, let alone having to run to catch the train nearly every day.

Rin, on the other hand, couldn't care less. I envied his energy.

He was the one that always said we could make the rain if we ran and therefore, he was the cause of my tiredness. It was only the second day of the job and I already felt as if I'd been working at the agency for a year.

That's what I had liked about the garage. I enjoyed my job. I enjoyed really digging into what made a car a car and from that, what made the car falter or break down. That job was fulfilling.

You could argue that working for the Hero public safety commission should be fulfilling too- and maybe it should've been. But I was chosen to be an agent, I didn't get a say in that. I had a choice in becoming a mechanic though. Granted, it was because I'd broken into Mr Dai's apartment, but he wouldn't keep making me stay if I didn't want to.

That's where the commission was different.

"Are you going to open the door?" Rin nudged me and I noticed that we were at the door of our apartment.

"Oh, yeah, sorry, just tired," I gave him a look before opening the door and holding it open for him, "you really didn't have to make us run for the train."

He shrugged, walking backwards into the living room, "if you actually knew how to drive a car then we wouldn't have to run for the train."

I stared at him before slamming the door behind me, ready to chase the kid down, but he sped off into his bedroom before I could catch him.

"You can't drive? Now there's a plot twist."

I spun on my heel, grabbing the nearest vase as my heart pounded against my chest, only to come face to face with that familiar cocky smirk and pair of unruly blonde eyebrows.

"What are you doing?!" I breathed out, placing a hand against my chest.

"Making a sandwich," Hawks shrugged as if him being in my kitchen was a perfectly normal thing.

"No- what are you doing in my house?"

"You obviously didn't read the binder," he shook his head, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I did, actually, but it didn't say: 'Tuesday, Hawks will break into your house', did it?"

"Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, who cares?"

"I care!" I retorted, walking over to him and grabbing the sandwich out of his hands.

"Hey!" He protested, trying to grab it back.

"You get it back when you tell me how you got in here! It's obviously not as safe as we thought if you can get in."

He sighed, pulling a key out of his trouser pocket and holding it out for me to see, "they gave me a key."

"Of course they gave you a key," I mumbled, rolling my eyes and half-passed, half-threw Hawks' sandwich at him. It didn't bother him one bit, he just continued to eat it, brushing his hair out of his face so that he didn't accidentally eat any stray strands of hair. "Sm, pmow wash moor pirst may dat moork?"

I stared at him, completely unsure as to how he wanted me to respond to the alien language that had just left his mouth.

He held out his hands, encouraging me to answer.

"What?"

He swallowed his food, "how was your first day at work."

"Second," I corrected him, "and boring. It was boring."

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐌𝐏𝐇 || ʜᴀᴡᴋꜱजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें