My Life(as a ghost)

Prologue

Running. I didn't know anything else. It was my life. My work toward a scholarship. I had to do this. Win...win....win. 

"Yes!" I cheered as I crossed the finish line. First in the whole country! I pounded my fist in the air. I leaned over and chugged in deep calming breathes. I had lived for this! America! Finally! I am only 16 and I am first in the country! Well, at least for the mile and 2 mile. 

"Come on. Drink some water." of course, my dad always makes me do everything. I guess I was always a natural at running. I took a deep swallow of water then ran over to the judges to find out my time. They never have one of those giant signs out to tell you your time. 

The last people ran across the finish line. I boogied over and glanced at the paper. Yeah! My all time new record. 

Time to go. Everyone would crowd around me soon enough. I raced back toward my dad. My legs felt like I could fly for six more miles. 

"Let's go!" I yelled over the crowd. He nodded and we moved along, pushing and weaving throughout the crowd. 

I and my dad took off through the giant parking lot. There were thousands of people here just to see us run! I got toward the car and slammed it shut, just as a TV reporter banged at my window. I waved and winked and my dad took off toward the highway. 

Along the way back home, I saw a wreck. If there is one thing about me, I have to check out wrecks. I always end up helping everyone, and they always are better visiting them at the hospital and send cards. Even the junkies or people at the town jail. 

My dad pulled over as I told him where the wreck was. 

"Okay, but we have somewhere to be, so make it quick." he said and I nodded my head and jumped out of the car. 

I saw a man, slumped over the front of his Chevrolet wheel. "Hello?" I yelled over the noise of the police cars. Every police officer knew me by now, so I had nothing to worry about. 

"Ummmm?" the man mumbled. He looked up and I gasped in horror as I saw a long jagged gash above his eyebrows. Then I gasped even louder as I saw a knife in his hand. I knife sharp as ever. It was there glinting in the sunlight. 

This guy was mad! He started to climb out of the car and I started to urge him back inside, forgetting about the knife for a second. If he moved, he might not make it. The ambulance would take care of him. I glanced over my shoulder to look at my dad for a second then looked back again at the man as a fiery wave of pain spread over my chest. 

I looked down to see the knife protruding from my chest. The man smiled at me maniacally, and then he tore the knife out of my chest and into his own. I screamed in horror as the man immediately went limp again on the steering wheel and soiled the seat even further. 

I looked down at my chest wound and smiled. I would be alright. It wasn't on my heart. But then I hollered as the pain doubled, then tripled. What was happening to me? I then realized something that I should have been aware of before. 

I thought of the knife. At first I had thought there was water on the hilt, but now I truly knew what it was. Poison. 

My life started to drift away and I closed my eyes. Better to give way to darkness than to pain. Better to not feel anything. I smiled, and noticed that my lips only twitched. Then, I was aware of no more.