Epilogue

The day they were mated was cold and bright. Wynter wore a rich blue tunic, embellished by silver and ermine. Ellie wore its counterpart. Her dress was specially designed to keep her warm, as they were holding the ceremony outside.

Bruma served as their mount, although Wynter simply could have winnowed them to the location. A few days ago, he had decided that the stallion deserved his own place in the ceremony. Bruma had been his best friend for the past year. Sometimes, his only friend. That was why Wynter had spent hours grooming him and braiding small crystals into his mane and tail. Mitsi helped him with some of them, before Colette came to take her home.

In the days that had passed since Ebner's sentencing, Colette and Cyrus had officially adopted Ellie's cousins. The children seemed very happy with the arrangement, and already, their lives were changing for the better. They were indeed attending Lev's class every day while Colette was at work. Ellie went to retrieve them when their lessons were over, and they spent some time at the townhouse until it was time for them to go home.

Wynter had to admit that he was growing more fond of Mina and Micah with each passing day. They still had their moments, but Ellie swore they were improving, and they had Cyrus and Colette to thank for that. Mitsi was her usual sweet self, always skipping around the house with a three legged Bongo dangling from her grasp.

Ellie wrapped her arms around Wynter's waist, drawing him out of his thoughts. She rested her cheek against his back. "Will we be there soon?" She asked.

"You can see it now," Wynter replied, pointing ahead. Ellie peered past his shoulder and her breath caught.

They would be mated in a snowy clearing, where vines hung from the surrounding trees. Small beads of ice hung from the vines, tinkling as the breeze knocked them against one another. Already, their guests were waiting.

"It's beautiful," Ellie murmured. Wynter flashed her a smile.

They reached the clearing shortly and Cyrus approached, ready to help Ellie down. Wynter dismounted and Micah took Bruma's reins. He, like Mitsi, had caught a fascination with the horse. Wynter recently found himself coerced into teaching Micah about Ursa horses. The young male couldn't wait to begin.

Wynter took Ellie's hand and led her over to the priestess. As the ceremony began, he let his gaze wander over the small gathering. There were his parents, accompanied by Evren and Eris Vanserra, and their son, Castiel. Lucien and Elain Vanserra hovered near them. Cresseida had come from the Summer Court.

Nyx and Venelia were in attendance as well. Nyx held Eira, who was soundly sleeping, her little wings tucked tightly around herself. Mikael, Estelle, and Aramis stood with Nyx and Venelia. Aramis was wide awake, his shadows dancing above his shoulders. Colette, Cyrus, and Ellie's cousins were the only other guests in attendance.

Wynter smiled as he took his vows. His smile only grew when Ellie swore hers. They exchanged rings, which he had made the night before. Ellie's ring was just a modified version of her engagement ring. He had carved several intricate patterns into it this time. His own band was plain by comparison, but that was how he wanted it.

At last, Mikael, Venelia, and Mitsi came forward. The priestess presented them with a piece of white ribbon, and Wynter and Ellie both extended their wrists. Their three companions tied their wrists together swiftly. Mikael shot Wynter a knowing smirk, while Venelia rolled her eyes. Mitsi was oblivious to their expressions. They returned to their places shortly.

Wynter cupped Ellie's cheek in his hand, drawing her in for a brief but thorough kiss. Ellie rested her free hand on the back of his neck, pressing their foreheads together. Wynter tuned out the cheers and laughter of their friends, focusing solely on her and the shining Bond in his chest.

He breathed a sigh of contentment, tears stinging his eyes. Melantha was wrong. He knew that now. She was wrong about everything. He would be happy again. He would regain the respect of his people. He would make his parents proud. He would help them protect and care for his unborn sister. Someday, he would become High Lord, and he would do all of that with his mate at his side.

For Ellie was now his. He would never let her go again, no matter what happened. No matter how afraid he became, or how badly he struggled. He would never let go. She was his, and she would not be taken from him. Not by anyone. Not even himself.

Wynter kissed Ellie again, opening his eyes. Her crystal gaze searched his, as a smile blossomed on her red lips. "I love you," he murmured.

"I love you too," Ellie replied. Once, she had been a dream he could see but not reach. Now, she was a dream he held and would never let go. Ellie touched his cheek with the tips of her fingers, grinning brightly. "We have a celebration to attend. You can stare at me later." Wynter laughed and drew her close as they joined their friends.

And he was no longer alone.