25. Coming to Terms

"Ellie!" Wynter gasped, panic fogging the corners of his mind.

Where was he? What was happening? He'd heard Ellie's voice. Felt a sharp pull in his chest. He'd been so cold. Everything had grown so dark. Now, he felt warm. He felt...wet? Wynter blinked rapidly, trying to force his panic aside. Water sloshed against his bare legs. Where were his clothes? Hadn't he been wearing some? Where was...

A hand cupped his cheek, catching his attention. "Mother above, Wyn!" Ellie sobbed, smoothing hair out of his face. Wynter didn't have a chance to reply before she'd thrown her arms around him, burying her face in his neck. That thing in his chest, that thread, seemed to glow brighter.

He hesitated only a moment before returning her embrace. "Ellie? What happened? What..." Wynter drew in a shaking breath. It carried her peppermint and vanilla scent. "Stars, what did I do?"

"You nearly froze yourself to death." Her choked voice was muffled against his shoulder. "I couldn't wake you. I'm sorry I wasn't here, Wyn. I'm sorry I didn't come sooner. I did what I could. What I had to. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He caught sight of a hatchet near her knees, and partially melted chunks of ice on the floor around them. His clothes were nearby, sodden and coated with frost. "I was dying," he realized.

"I couldn't wake you. You wouldn't melt the ice. You were dying, and I...I did what I had to. But you still wouldn't wake up. I thought... I thought..."

"I'm here," Wynter choked out. "Because of you, I'm here."

"Never push me away again. Never."

"Never," he swore. "I will never push you away again."

"Never leave me again."

"I will never leave you again, my Dream."

Wynter closed his eyes, counting in between breaths as he held Ellie. As she held him. He could feel her terror as strongly as though it were his own. He caught glimpses of himself, blue skinned and unresponsive, and knew he was seeing what she had. He could sense her panic. Her pain. Her sorrow. Her relief. Her guilt.

The thread seemed stronger. Thicker and brighter. Wynter's heart faltered as he realized what that meant. That was how Ellie had reached him. That was how he'd heard her voice and felt her tug. Maybe she didn't know what it was, but he did. There was no stopping it from growing now, and Wynter no longer minded.

It had saved his life. He'd wanted to die. That's why he hadn't moved from the tub, even when he knew how dangerous he'd made it for himself. That was why he welcomed the dark void that had swallowed him up. If it weren't for Ellie, he would've submitted to it entirely. If it weren't for Ellie, he would be dead. Wynter tightened his arms around her. His dream. His love. His...

Ellie drew away. Her cheeks were red as she averted her eyes. "I'll be waiting when you're ready to talk."

Wynter's own face burned with realization. He was completely naked and she... He inhaled sharply, heat igniting in his veins. Ellie was only in her pants and undergarments. Her long sleeved shirt was discarded beneath his drenched clothes. He felt only a twinge of shame and guilt. There was no fear. There was no fear as her gaze lifted, swept over him, lingering at his hips, then lowered once again.

"You..." Wynter swallowed, hard. "You are beautiful."

Ellie blushed redder. "So are you," she murmured, before hurrying out of the bathroom, taking the hatchet with her.

The heat in his veins gave way to simmering anger as he saw the dark bruises, faded scars, and red welts that covered her back, partially hidden beneath her ebony hair. Wynter rested his head on the lip of the tub as he drew measured breaths, trying to calm himself.