17. Comforting Touch

The days began to blur together. Between balancing her hours with Wynter and the children, Elodie had very little time to herself. She found that she didn't mind so much though. After all, she'd much rather be with Wynter than at the house or somewhere by herself.

Every day that she spent with Wynter revealed some new depth to him that she'd never known before. Elodie had ridden Bruma a few more times after the first, with Wynter leading him at a slow pace. During those rides, she'd learned that Wynter liked to research things. That was how he'd first become interested in Ursa horses.

Wynter explained that he first discovered the horses in a history book. One of the former High Lords, Wynter's great great grandfather, had owned several of them. Wynter fell in love with their illustrations and learned everything about them that he could, until he decided that he had to have one.

In exchange for that bit of knowledge, Elodie had revealed how she loved looking at illustrations of different types of flowers. Her favorite were orange roses. She liked orange, because it reminded her of her mother. Despite how faint her memories were becoming, Elodie could still recall that Lilith Rohese adored all things orange. The color reminded her of the Autumn Court, her home.

Elodie also admired the significance of an orange rose. Red roses stood for love, while yellow stood for friendship. Orange roses were in between them, representing more passionate and fiery emotions that were a mix between the first two.

"When I fall in love with someone, I want them to have been my friend too," Elodie had told Wynter. "And I want us to have the passion and desire for one another that people talk about in stories. The kind that, once kindled, can never be extinguished. The fiery kind that consumes your very soul."

Wynter hadn't given her much of a response. Elodie still couldn't make sense of the look that had filled his eyes. It was a mixture of longing and resignation, and perhaps something more. She was still thinking of that look and what it could mean when Amoriel rushed into the children's schoolroom and ordered them outside for the afternoon.

Elodie fastened Mitsi's cloak around her shoulders, then grabbed her old one which had finally been returned to her. The one Wynter gave her was safely hidden in her room. She wore it only when she went to visit him.

"Let's go, Ellie!" Mitsi urged, tugging at her hand. "I want to go to the library!"

"I'm coming!" Elodie giggled, letting her cousin lead her out of the room. They headed down the stairs. The front door closed, meaning Mina and Micah had already gone outside.

Mitsi released Elodie's hand and skipped on ahead. Elodie trailed after her, then paused. Muffled voices came from the sitting room close by. The door was partially cracked open. Elodie quieted her footsteps. The voices belonged to her aunt and uncle, and a third unfamiliar male.

"And you're certain these rumors will be proven true?" Ebner demanded, his voice gruff.

"Any day now," the male replied. "She won't be able to hide it for long."

"This could work to your advantage," Amoriel murmured. "If there is another..."

"Were you asked to speak?" Ebner barked. Elodie flinched, hearing the unmistakable sound of a slap being delivered. There was a snort of amusement from the unfamiliar male. "I know what this means. But until we know for certain, we can do nothing. Keep me updated on whatever you find out."

"Of course, and, might I add what a lovely young niece you have?" Elodie stiffened at the tone of the male's voice. "I hear you've been looking for someone to take her off your hands. I may be interested."