15. Flower Power

Wynter brushed Bruma's mane, only half aware of even doing so. His day had not gone well thus far. He'd gone out on business with his father again. At first, things had been all right. Wynter found himself willing to talk to Kallias as they rode to a nearby village, and even asked him to pass a message on to Viviane.

    Everything changed when they reached the village. Wynter had once again been taunted by townsfolk. He hadn't left in a panic, but it had been difficult to hide just how much his peoples' disdain hurt. He made himself stay for the entire meeting, then winnowed himself home.

    Wynter patted Bruma's sturdy neck as the horse nickered. "I know. You're expecting a treat." He left the stall and crossed over to a cabinet, where he stored bags of different horse treats. Wynter pulled out a handful of pellets and returned.

    He held out his hand. Bruma needed no further invitation. His whiskered lips tickled Wynter's palm as he lapped up the pellets. "Spoiled," Wynter chuckled. He stroked Bruma's muzzle before leaving the stables.

    He winnowed himself onto the balcony of his bedroom and entered through the large glass doors. Wynter changed into a dark blue shirt and a pair of black pants. He remained barefoot as he ran his fingers through his hair and tied half of it up. Wynter's gaze fell to his desk, where two letters awaited him. One was from his mother, and the other was from Mikael Anik.

    "Wynter!" Colette's muffled voice hollered. "Ellie is here."

    His lips twitched up and he left his room, not bothering to open the letters. He'd read them after Ellie left. Wynter hopped onto the stair railing and slid down, landing smoothly at the base. Ellie watched him with raised eyebrows.

    "What?" He asked.

    "Do you always do that?" She asked, gesturing to the railing.

    "Almost always," Colette huffed, appearing behind them. "I've told him time and again to keep his rear end off my rails, but he won't listen. Maybe I should oil them really well and then let you slide down them."

    "Technically, they're my rails," Wynter corrected. Colette shot him a mock glare. "And it's faster and more fun than taking the stairs normally." He faced Ellie. "I had to make things fun for myself while under my father's tutelage. Stairs turned into one of my best friends."

    "And chandelier rigging," Colette added.

    Wynter grimaced. "We don't need to go there."

    "We most certainly do," Ellie protested.

    "No, we were going to dry flowers, remember?" Wynter took one of the periwinkle clusters from her hands.

    "We'll need a room with hooks to hang them from," she said.

    "The kitchen." Wynter turned down a hallway and Ellie followed him. Colette headed up the stairs, grumbling to herself about the stair rails.

    "Chandelier riggings?" Ellie urged, falling in step with Wynter.

    "I jumped off a balcony and onto the suspension of a chandelier," Wynter sighed. "Unfortunately, the rigging was old so the chandelier collapsed under my weight. It fell, with me on it, right in between my parents and a few ambassadors they were meeting with. Broke my leg and a few ribs."

    "One of the ambassadors fainted. Father swore loud enough that Eris claims to have heard him. I think Mother almost killed the palace housekeeper for not replacing the rigging sooner. She came to her senses before anyone suffered any physical harm, thankfully. And I was forbidden to ever attempt anything of the sort again."