31. Overcoming Issues

The door closed with a loud bang. Wynter's head snapped up and Colette winced. They exchanged wary glances before Wynter rose, magic thrumming in his veins. A moment later, his wariness dissipated as Ellie breezed into the room. She was panting, cheeks red from cold and exertion.

    Wynter was at her side in an instant, brows knit with concern. "What's wrong? Are you all right?" His fingers skimmed over her jaw as he tilted her head to the side. Cold fury ignited in his gut, spying bruises darkening on her neck.

    Ellie shook her head, closing her eyes as she drew measured breaths. "We need to figure something out. Now."

    "Sit down for a moment, Dear," Colette urged. Wynter swallowed a protective snarl as Colette took Ellie's arm and guided her to a chair near the fire.

    "Did something happen?" Wynter asked.

    Ellie bit her lip, then rubbed her forehead wearily. "Julian Frazier has been at the house almost every day for the past week. He's forbidden to speak to me, but while Uncle Ebner was gone today, he broke that rule. He seems to think he already has some sort of claim on me."

    Wynter couldn't stop his growl this time. Ellie stared at the fire and he saw tears glistening in her eyes. "He threatened me," she said. "He threatened to hurt me after I became his wife. He threatened to...use me." Her gaze slid to his. "I'm afraid he won't be content to wait until Uncle Ebner gives his permission."

    Wynter knelt and cupped her cheek, before taking her hand in his own. "That will not happen to you, my Dream."

    "Please say you won't go back there," Colette urged. "It's becoming too dangerous for you."

    "I'm going back only once more." Ellie held Wynter's gaze, feeding determination into her own. "After we figure out a way to keep my aunt and cousins safe, I'll go back for them. Then, none of us are ever setting foot in that house again."

    "It's not that late yet. We can go speak with my parents now," Wynter said.

    Ellie gave a short nod. "But you have to speak with them about the baby first."

    "I will." He helped her to her feet. "Let's get you into something warmer first." Ellie was still shivering, despite the warmth of the fire. Colette stepped aside as they left the sitting room.

    When they reached their bedroom, Wynter sat on the edge of the bed while Ellie combed through the closet, deciding what to wear. "Should I wear something formal?" She asked, glancing over her shoulder. "They are the High Lord and Lady after all."

    Wynter smiled, but shook his head. "Wear whatever you want. We are speaking to them as my parents, not as the High Lord and Lady."

    Ellie pursed her lips and retrieved a pair of pants and a shirt. When she made no move towards the bathroom, Wynter sprawled on his back, staring at the very interesting faelight patterns on his ceiling.

    "What are we going to tell them, if they ask why I'm there?" She asked.

    "You're there for my sake."

    "And if they ask what we are?"

    "What we are?" Wynter repeated.

    "Yes. We...haven't discussed it. I suppose now would be a good time."

    Wynter swallowed, hard. "What do you think we are?"

    "I don't know. We're more than friends."

    "Are we?" A smile spread across his lips.

     He let out a soft grunt as a shoe collided with his knee. He sat up instinctively and his breath caught. Ellie's back was turned towards him, her hair covering the straps of her undergarments. She'd already pulled her pants on. They hugged the shape of her hips and thighs before flaring out at her knees.