37. Consultation

The artwork above is not mine.

❅•~❅~•❅

    Elodie lingered outside the childrens' shared bedroom. She was going to speak to them about moving in with Colette and Cyrus, for the time being. She wasn't sure what would happen if they didn't want to. She assumed they would simply remain at the townhouse, but frankly, Elodie hoped they would be willing to leave.

    She'd spent the past thirteen years of her life caring for them, and 102 years before that simply serving her aunt and uncle. At 120 years old, she hadn't had much of a chance to do the things she wanted to, or accomplish any of her personal goals. If she knew her cousins were safe and cared for, she could do just that, starting by marrying Wynter.

    He had gone to the palace only an hour ago to answer a summons from his father. Wynter had explained that they wanted to go over the plans for Viviane's pregnancy announcement, which was taking place tomorrow afternoon. He promised that while he was there, he would tell his parents about their engagement.

    She noticed the hesitation in his gaze, and knew there was something else he wanted to talk to them about too. Something he didn't want to bring up with her yet. That was why she hadn't asked to go with him.

    Elodie raised her hand and knocked on the door. Mina opened it shortly. She let Elodie in without a word. Mitsi sat on her bed, cuddling Bongo close to her chest. She perked up at the sight of Elodie. Elodie sat down beside her cousin, wrapping an arm around Mitsi's shoulders.

    "What's going to happen to us?" Mina asked. She sounded surprisingly shy.

    "Well, you're not going back to Uncle Ebner's and you're not going to an orphanage," Elodie replied. "Neither of your parents have any living relatives, so you really only have two options. You can stay here with Wynter and I, or you can stay with Colette and Cyrus."

    "The guard and his wife?" Micah raised an eyebrow. "Why would we stay with them?"

    "Because they're good people. They've looked after me a time or two. Colette helped raise Wynter. Mitsi likes them."

    "Mitsi doesn't know them," he scoffed.

    Mitsi raised her chin proudly. "Yes, I do."

    Mina and Micah's gazes snapped to Elodie. "She came here with me a few times when the rest of you were out," Elodie explained.

    "Do you know what Father would've done if he'd found out?" Mina exclaimed.

    "I do, and that's why we took precautions. There's no need to be upset by that now. We're all here, and Uncle Ebner can't reach you."

    "Could he reach us at Cyrus and Colette's?" Micah asked.

    "Not unless he wants to be arrested and face Kallias. Besides, Cyrus is a soldier and I'm sure he's taught Colette a thing or two about defending herself. You'll be safe with them."

    Mina and Micah still looked unconvinced. Mitsi lifted Elodie's hand, examining her engagement ring. "Will we stay with them forever? Even after you and Wynter are married?" She lifted hopeful blue eyes to Elodie's. "You could adopt us, couldn't you?"

    Elodie smiled and tucked a curl behind Mitsi's ear. "Maybe, but..." She trailed off, unsure of how to phrase her feelings without offending her cousins. "I love you all, but I don't want to be responsible for raising you. I want to be your cousin. Your friend, like I should've been from the beginning. Instead, I've been your servant, your teacher, and, in some ways, your mother. I want a chance to enjoy my life and live it the way I want to."