{16 } paris

Now I get lost, tracing my steps back
It cost nearly everything that
I'm not ready to lose today

-Paris (Magic Man)

--/--

Taking care of Dani is harder than I would have imagined. She's like a puppy: you have to feed her, make sure she sleeps and dosen't sneak out, and from time to time you have to show her compassion, just so that she doesn't go crazy. Well, that's not like a puppy at all.

I brought in a plate of food that Perrie had made. Lately, she's been happier, learning how to cook and bake, but she's also throwing up a lot. God knows why.

Dani was sat on the bed, her legs crossed in front of her. As soon as I walked in, she straightened up and made room for me on her unmade bed. If I did say so myself, she was probably the best-cared-for hostage we've ever had.

"Hey Dani," I whispered, closing and locking the door after I had gone inside. She smiled at me, but kept quiet. "here's some food."

"Thanks, Jane," Dani spoke very softly, as if she had been worn out. I imagine how exhausted she must be. Even though she is not doing anything physical, her mind is probably going at a thousand miles per hour.

I knew that she hadn't been sleeping much. She was always moving around and pacing at night, but every once in a while, she slept soundly. It was as if she was doing this to herself.

All of the sudden, she spoke, her voice low and calm. It was nothing like it was two days ago when she yelled and screamed at me for being a traitor. "You don't seem like yourself anymore."

"I haven't been me for a long time," I answered, sitting down on a chair, leaning all the way back, and crossing my legs, my arms on the armrests as I watched her eat. As creepy as that sounds. "that's how you survive around here."

"I'm sorry that you have been through all of this," Dani spoke, chewing her food in between each word, "I feel for you. Everyone's hearts are sort of the same, you know?"

"Nah, that's what fuck's you up, thinking that everyone's heart is the same," I explained, sitting farther back on the chair and chewing on the gum in my mouth

"You've changed, you're so hard-headed now."

"Yeah," I spoke up, retaliating her comment quickly, "I realize that I'm hard to talk to. You don't have to remind me."

We stayed quiet for a really long time. Then, I mustered up the courage to quietly ask her, uncrossing my legs and placing each of my feet flat on the ground. "Dani, what is Knight up to?"

"She just has a lot of dangerous connections," Dani shrugged, but then it was like something came into her mind, and then she flinched, and tried to calm herself down. She was hoping that I didn't see it, but I did.

I asked Dani, my voice slowing down as I enunciated every single word, "What?"

"I don't think I should say."

My voice was lower and even more strict, "Dani."

Dani sighed loudly and ushered me to sit next to her so that she could speak in a low tone. "Dylan is waiting to strike down everyone that might be a threat in the future."

"So like Aaron and his allies?" I confirmed with her and she nodded slowly, sniffling and responding in a low whisper.

"And Harry was one of Aaron's allies, so that means-"

"Knight is coming after Harry,"

"Not neces-" Dani began, but of course, I cut her off, not listening to anything she had to say.

That was a mistake.

--/--

"Jane! Could you help me up here please?" Perrie shouted from her room upstairs. Harry, Zayn, and Liam had gone to do some business outside of town so that left pretty much everyone except for the trio.

Grunting, I paused my movie and went upstairs. My feet patted on the floor as I jogged up the stairs one by one, and then, as I got to the top of the stairs, I swished around and looked for Perrie's room. Finally, I arrived and found her struggling to get down a plastic box.

Running towards her, I snatched the box from her and held it up in mu own arms. Then, I set it down on the bed, alongside the other two boxes. "What's all this for?"

Perrie sighed and looked down, as if she was disappointed in herself, "Zayn and I, we're going to-"

"Move in together?" I began to grin, and Perrie's head snapped up and a squealed peaked out of her mouth. She embraced me in her arms and I hugged her back with equal or even greater strength.

Deep down, I knew that Zayn could protect Perrie with his life, even better than Harry could ever protect me. Zayn was an amazing boyfriend, and Perrie and him would be very happy together, I don't doubt it.

But there was something else in the back of her mind. Something totally odd and crazy that was about to surface. Something unexpected.

"Jane, there's also something else," Perrie separated herself from me, but still held on to my hands, "the reason why we're leaving."

"Yeah, totally what is it?"

She bit her lip, but then, all of the sudden began to grin mindlessly, "I'm pregnant."

I couldn't see clear for a moment, but then I realized how thrilling it must be for both Zayn and Perrie. Letting out a squeal, I embraced Perrie in my arms to show my utter excitement for the young couple.

"Perrie, I'm so happy for you guys."

"Yeah, I'm ecstatic too," Perrie grinned, letting out a chuckle as she spoke, "Zayn is actually checking out a place and making sure we're in a good neighborhood. We don't want our kid to grow up in such a bad place."

"I totally understand," nodding, I listened to what she had to say. Frankly, I don't think anyone wants their kid to be around guns from the moment they pop out of the womb. "can I be bad-ass Aunt Jane, though?"

"Wouldn't expect anything less from you."