09

In the end, it was this very attack that almost killed King Nereus that changed his mind and allowed him to participate in Orm's venture or future venture. And that's where the problem lay.

During the entire way back, Norvina was more than silent, which did not suit her at all. First no, then yes, but only because their meeting was interrupted. Coincidences may exist, but this one should be more than big. Just when it was about gaining an ally, who would only say yes if it also concerned him, the 'enemy' came forward to show how difficult the situation was. It played right into Orm's cards without him having to do much about it. Too easy, so it seemed too good to be true.

Due to the fact that Norvina was trying to make sense of the last hours and realize what all had happened, she hardly addressed Orm's attempts to get into conversation with her at all.

"Nor.... Norvina," Vulko intercepted Norvina after the group had returned to the palace, taking her by the arm and leading her around several corners so there would be no listeners, "How did you come to be at the meeting? What happened before?"

"Nothing happened," Norvina replied, but Vulko slumped his shoulders and looked at her sadly because 'nothing' couldn't be right with Orm and her, "I can't tell you what's going on in Orm's mind. I wish I could, but we both know there is no one he listens to or trusts anymore. Anyone who isn't completely clear to him is the enemy."

"Aren't you overlooking the obvious in all this?" it would be nice if that were the case but Norvina understood too little of what choices Orm made and Vulko, didn't make it any better, "You broke his heart. And you did it several times. With each of your visits, it awakened in him the hope that you would finally become his wife and stay with him. Shouldn't you know by now that he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. Nevertheless, after all that has happened and all the time that has passed, you seem to be the only one for him. So you can't tell me that you have no idea what's going on inside him."