08

The two kings were not friends, by any means, but neither were they enemies. Something in between. Mutual respect and the knowledge of the burden the other possessed and had to perform, while the expectations grew ever greater.

"A meeting too close to the surface for my liking," King Nereus interjected, which was a bit of an exaggeration as the ocean ceiling was kilometers above them.

"Do you not then recognize the Council of Kings? In Atlan's time, when the seven kingdoms were one, our ancestors gathered here. Atlantis sat here at the head of the table. Xebel, as always, at his side. The Brine. The Fishermen. The Deserters and the Trench had not yet fallen. The Lost Nation had not yet disappeared. Together, they were the greatest empire the world had ever seen," and that's what Orm wanted, without saying it outright, but wrapping it up in the story of old, "Today, I sit on Atlan's throne, shackled by ancient laws and politics. While the threat above us inevitably grows..."

"Violence has always defined the upper world," there was no denying that there was a great deal of truth in Nereus' statement, "They will destroy themselves."

"Only after they have destroyed us first," whether this possibility existed, which Orm represented here, was neither to be proved nor denied, for from year to year the seas were more and more destroyed, "We have hidden ourselves long enough. Now it is time for Atlantis to rise again."

"We honor you, King Nereus, by inviting Xebel to be the first kingdom in King Orm's alliance," to which Norvina rolled her eyes and at Vulko's words, began to shake her head.

"Don't take it as a sign of honor, your majesty," Norvina radioed in, which directly caused Orm's gaze to darken as he looked to her, "We both know what you think of honor. Take it as a sign of trust and recognition, especially since an alliance for the future was made long ago."

"As if you had a choice Vulko. Lady Norvina, what a nice surprise to see you here. By law, four of the Seven Kingdoms must vote for war. The Lost Nation and the Deserters have long perished. The Trench are but animals. The Brine will never submit to you and the Fischermens are cowards. Without me and my army to convince them, your plans are stillborn," with which Nereus was relatively correct, for it took rather more convincing reasons to win over the Fishermans, "But I know what you really want. Once you have the assurance of the four kingdoms, you will become the new Ocean Master."

"It's just a title.", Orm fended it off as if it was trivial, which might be true in essence, but Norvina knew him too well to know that wasn't the case.

"I am no fool, King Orm," perhaps not at the moment King Nereus though, are you not one of those people who saw a little further into the future "As Ocean Master you have command of the largest military force on the planet."

"It is my right to lead them.", it would never change, so Norvina gradually let it go, understanding Orms views, behavior, beliefs or anything else.

"Is that so? What about the rumors that there is someone? An Atlantean who lives on the upper world. Of royal blood," no rumors Nereus, merely the truth, "You may sit on the throne of Atlantis, but your claim to it is weak. How can you hope to unite the empire?"

My mother's bastard, as Orm called his half-brother, making it clear in the same breath that he knew of him, has never been to Atlantis. His loyalty is to the upper world, but this was not set in stone. Boom. One explosion followed another, interrupting this nice round.

 One explosion followed another, interrupting this nice round