Chapter 20

"Finally!" Naruto exclaimed as he stretched his arms into the outside air. He had finally been released from the hospital.

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "It wasn't that bad"

Naruto scoffed. "You didn't have Iruka coming in every single morning asking you the same mind numbing questions every day. How do you feel? Are you suicidal? What happened?" He stated in an annoyed, mocking tone.

Sasuke frowned slightly. "He's doing his job, dobe. Besides, we had to make sure I didn't throw myself off a cliff after you, for no reason" he chuckled as he playfully pushed the blond's shoulder while they walked. Naruto stuck out his bottom lip in a slight pout, crossing his arms over his chest.

As the boys walked up to the front door of Sasuke's place, the atmosphere suddenly shifted. It wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but it had a bit of tension when they both walked in.

"I know you just got home and all.." Sasuke paused.

Naruto glanced at the raven who seemed to be at a slight loss for words. It wasn't like Sasuke to beat around the bush about things.

"W-what is it?" Naruto hesitantly asked.

"There is something I need to talk to you about" he paused, looking into confused blue eyes. "It's important"

Naruto nodded as he sat down on the couch. He suddenly had an unsettling feeling in his stomach that he couldn't get rid of. Before he could ask what was going on, there was a knock at the door. Sasuke sighed as he had a feeling he knew who it was.

Upon opening the door, Sasuke let out a grumble as his hunch had been right. There standing at the door in full uniform, was Kakashi. The officer had been pestering the raven for days about telling Naruto the news.

"Why are you-" he started.

"Did you tell him yet?"

"I was just about to. We just got home." Sasuke barked as the silver haired man walked inside and towards the living room.

Not giving Sasuke another thought, Kakashi approached the blond. "Naruto"

Naruto cocked an eyebrow up, seeing the older man in full uniform. He swallowed hard as he felt his body tense up. "Why are you here?" He didn't mean it in a rude way, but he had a feeling it wasn't good news.

Kakashi went to open his mouth, but stopped as he felt a harsh grip on his shoulder. He frowned at the now glaring raven.

"What's going on?" Naruto asked, clearly unsettled by the two's behavior.

"The case against Sai.. it.." Sasuke paused, as he saw blue eyes flash with turmoil.

"It's being taken to court and a jury" Kakashi bluntly stated. Sasuke glared at the older man. He wanted to try to ease this onto Naruto, where Kakashi thought it was best to just 'rip off the bandaid'.

"Naruto.." Sasuke gently stated as he looked at the blond. Naruto was sitting on the couch, visibly shaking.

Naruto couldn't focus on anything but the floor. Anything that was being said to him, fell on deaf ears. All he could hear was a high pitch ringing that faded into the horrendous chuckle of Sai. Naruto couldn't stop his shaking. He had so many emotions that hit him all at once, causing his stomach to turn.