thirty

THE GAUNTLET WAS READY.

THE SIX INFINITY stones fit perfectly— like a puzzle made precisely for their purpose, and an ultimate weapon in their seemingly endless mission. The nanotechnology was strong enough to contain it, and it had taken them the entire night to make it.

But now, the team surrounded it, eyes wide and hands slightly shaking as they stared at what would define their fate; what would bring them their life back, or shatter their hope completely.

"Alright, the glove's ready." Rocket spoke. "Question is: who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Everyone looked at one another, and they all wanted to will themselves to speak before Thor beat them to it.

"I'll do it." Allura looked at him and tilted her head, accidentally hesitating as she wondered if he was in the right state of mind to do it.

Now, don't get her wrong. She trusted that he was powerful enough to do it. But his state between sober and drunk was making her anxious as she overthought everything that could go wrong, and her senses sharpened to protect the glove from everyone and anyone who wanted to go near it.

"Excuse me?" Tony asked, raising an eyebrow and standing up straight.

"It's okay." Thor said, nonchalantly. Everyone got in the way and pushed him back, Nadenka and Bruce looking at each other as they stared at the scene from a bit afar.

       They were both wondering if they were right for it. Nadenka, with her unbelievable amount of power, and Banner with the large amount of radiation running through his body.

       "Just, wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on." Steve spoke calmly, making Thor halt, unamused.

       "I'm sorry. What? We're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" He asked them, Scott shrugging.

       "We should at least discuss it."

       "Look, sitting here staring is not gonna bring everybody back." He took a deep breath. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me." He rambled. Tony nodded.

       "Normally, you're right.-" He spoke, only to be interrupted.

       "It's not about that-"

       "It's not about that-" Thor then tried to shush Tony, making Allura chuckle at their behavior and lock eyes with Nadenka, who was already looking at her with a knowing look in her eyes.

       This was going nowhere.

       "Stop it! Just let me-" Thor spoke, going quiet for a second as his eyes watered slightly, his will to help being crumbled by the actual situation. "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

       Allura glanced at Thor sadly, her shoulders falling for a second as she understood his situation. He wanted to make up for his past behavior, for the uselessness he felt as his emotions clouded his judgement.

       She empathized with him. But at the same time she knew Tony was right. He was powerful as heck but this was something they needed to be meticulous with; something they couldn't risk getting wrong.

       "Look, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You're in no condition." Tony spoke softly. Nadenka's eyes softened at his calmness.

       She wasn't gonna lie. She had grown a soft spot for the man ever since he calmed her down just a few hours ago when her love died.

       He had talked to her for an hour after that, and even though she still felt like she wasn't breathing enough oxygen, and her heart was as tight as a knot, she had to prove to her family and to herself that she could be strong; that she had to be strong, and that she was going to be strong.