twenty three

IT WAS NO SECRET TO NADENKA THAT her mother was brilliant. She didn't know absolutely everything—no one did really— but she knew enough to surprise her in any situation involving science, chemistry, mathematics, and in this case, an actual representation of time travel.

       "Ok, here we go. Time travel test number one!" Hulk spoke loudly. Allura stood in a pair of jeans, a black spaghetti strapped shirt and a long black sweater. Her hair was in a badly done bun, and she was wearing a pair of things that she now, as a human with super soldier serum, needed— even though they still felt uncomfortable to her: glasses.

       ( she had wondered why the super soldier serum hadn't protected her eye sight. but she then realized that the amount of it in her body wasn't the same one as in Steve's or James'. so,  she just accepted her fate and picked her favorite pair of glasses )

       She was hugging a black notebook to her chest, with papers sticking out from all places, and a pen on her left hand; just in case she had to write something— well, more than she already had.

       Nadenka was standing next to her in dark mom jeans and a long sleeved blouse, observing the scene playing in front of her along with Pietro, and Nat.

       "Scott! Fire up the uh, van thing." Scott was wearing his suit, and he opened the van, lights and rays coming from it.

       "Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby." Steve walked towards them, Allura going next to Buce and nodding.

       "Good. Because if we blow the grid, I don't want to lose, uh, tiny here in the 1950's." Scott looked up, a bit of fear in his eyes at Bruce's words.

       "Excuse me?"

       "He's kidding." Natasha laughed, turning to Bruce. "You can't say things like that." Allura smirked at her, Bruce turning to them.

       "It was a bad joke." He stammered, Scott still staring at him with wide eyes.

       "Yeah. Don't worry. This is just the first run. If anything, you'd be stuck in the 1980's. You wouldn't go that far." Allura joked with a mischievous look on her face.

       Her words did not reassure Scott at all.

       "Really?" Natasha asked Allura, unamused. She then looked at Bruce. "You two are kidding, right?"

       "No clue." "I have no idea!" The strawberry blonde and Banner answered at the same time, Bruce continuing. "We're talking about time travel here! Either it's all a joke or none of it is." He then smiled.

       "We're good!" He sent Scott a thumbs up, Allura checking the machine once more carefully. "Get your helmet on."

       "Scott, we're gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in ten seconds. Make sense?" Bruce explained.

       "Perfectly not confusing."

       "Good luck, Scott. You got this." Steve encouraged, making Scott grin.

       "You're right. I do, Captain America."

       Allura spotted something odd on the machine, her green eyes widening as she involuntarily calculated.

       "We're missing something-"

       But he was gone.

       "Is that something very important?" Pietro asked her, crossing his arms. Allura closed her mouth and then opened it again.