Chapter 29. Trap

Whiplash drove for a couple of hours and Dreadraid was following him. We doubted he knew we were following him but I had a nasty feeling in my stomach. "Let's pull over here, we know where he's going," I said. Dreadraid obeyed and parked. "You don't trust it?" he asked. I shook my head and looked into the darkness of the woods. "Can you scan the environment for any Energon signals?" i asked. While I was waiting for him to be done, I nearly heard Sunstreaker talking to me. I could hear his voice in my head. "We need to go." Dreadraid frowned. "What?" he asked. "It\s a trap! Just go! Drive!" I shouted. His engine roared to life and he turned, driving off. "Take this road, into the woods!" I ordered. "Why would I do that!? My scans say nothing!" he snapped. "You need to trust me, just take this damn road," I snapped. Dreadraid glared at me but turned anyway. "Park over there and cut your engine," I ordered. "You don't tell me what to do !" he sneered. "Don't you see I am trying to save your life?" I asked. He growled and cut his engine. I quietly hopped out and sneaked around.

Dreadraid crouched down beside me. "Look!" I pointed at the sky. "Starscream," he growled. I himmed. "How did you know?" he asked. I glanced at him, "I saw it," I lied and looked up at the sky again. "How could you have possibly seen him?" he muttered. "I am not stupid. We already know your father works with the Decepticons," I said. I looked around and I saw Sunstreaker. My breathing hitched. He said nothing but he was there. I got up and walked up to him. "What are you doing?" Dreadraid muttered sulkily. Sunstreaker vanished in thin air as I reached him. I stood on the place where he had been and looked around to see why he was here. I looked down at the ground and reached for my wallet. As I opened it, I found a name. "Does the name 'Kyle Goodman' say something to you?" I asked, showing him an ID card. "Yes." he took the ID and scanned it. "He's a scientist... corrupt and works for Megatron," he said.

"I think he's dead... do you know what he was working on?" I asked. "No..." he muttered. "Come on... there's a town a few miles towards the west," I said and walked over to his alt-mode. "Seriously, what is wrong with you!" he snapped. "Wrong with me?" I mocked, hopping in the car. "Yes!" he hopped in as well and glared at me as he slammed the door shut. "We need to know what your father wants," I said. Dreadraid was only able to shake his head and drove off. In town, I told him to follow me into a small mall. "What are we going to do?" he asked as he walked into a computer store. "I got some hacks on how to hack... Mirage told me," I said. Dreadraid raised an eyebrow as he looked at me. "So, we hack the CIA database," I said. "Have you done it before?" he asked. "I had to hack the mainframe for Sunstreaker once and Mirage caught me so he taught me how to actually do it," I said.

He ohh'ed. "Here." I pointed at the screen. "This guy is indeed very popular. Apparently, he's working for a lab in Phoenix, so he was quite far from home." I muttered. Dreadraid looked around, "so?" he asked. "We are going to Phoenix," I said. "Why? Why would we do that? Whiplash is here!" he snapped. "They are trying to lure you in a trap. I am the bait, you caught the bait and Whiplash knows you are going after him to kill him and walk straight into his trap. "That's something you and Sunstraker have in common... letting anger take over." He hummed, "well I guess that's why I have you then," he sulked. "Control your anger a little bit Dread," I sulked. "I don't understand how you knew," he muttered. "I just knew," I replied. I am not going to tell him, Sunstreaker told me. "Come on." Dreadraid followed me back to his alt-mode. "We need to keep a low profile, no killing for some time, okay?" He snorted and scowled at me. "No promises... I love killing."

It's an addiction. I hummed and looked out of the window, turning my gaze up to the sky. "I sense sadness," Dreadraid said after a couple of minutes. "Do you know at that moment that you have everything and the next thing you know... your entire world is just gone?" I asked, looking at him. "Is this because of your parents I killed?" he asked. "What you're doing has an effect on people's life," I said. "You were with me on Cybertron, you loved the killing part about me back then!" he sneered. I shook my head. How am I ever going to explain to him that I am not the reincarnation of his love? I guess we both have lost something, he lost his love due to his own rage and I lost my love due to lack of trust from the others. "My world collapsed once," he replied after a long silence. "Why can't you remember?" he asked mostly himself.

"Sometimes you want things to be the way you want them to be. You have an emptiness that no one is able to fill and slowly tears you apart inside," I said. "What are you trying to say with that?" he snapped. "You want me to be someone but I am not the person you want," I said. He snorted and glared at me. "Don't talk bullshit!" he sneered. Dreadraid started scowling in Cybertronian while driving on the highway. That night, Dreadraid stopped at an old barn and parked in the shed. I laid down on a rock and stared up the starry sky above me. "What are you doing?" Dreadraid hovered over me and stared through my soul with his pitch black eyes. "Looking at the stars," I said, pointing at it. The mech tilted his head to the sky. "Why? What's so interesting about that?" he asked. "It's beautiful, I love it," I said. Dreadraid laid beside me and followed my gaze before he turned towards me. "It's boring," he snapped. "You don't have to be here," I said. He snorted and sat up, looking down at me. "I keep sensing sadness," he sulked.

"Don't worry so much about it." He hit me hard enough to create a nasty bruise. "I want to know why!" he shouted. I sat up as well and looked him in the eyes. "Why are you sad! Why are you grieving!" he shouted. "I am sad because my friends believe I am a killer and because they hurt my feelings," I snapped back. "Then why do you call them friends?" he snarled. "Unlike you, I have feelings, I am not emotionless and you won't understand it," I snapped as I got up. "Then explain to me!" He sprinted after me and blocked my way. "You don't understand because you don't feel anything, you don't feel any empathy or compassion, just nothing," I said. "I feel a distance between you and me. This is not what it was back on Cybertron!" he snapped, jabbing his finger in the center of my chest. "Then kill me. Help me out of my misery," I snapped, slapping his hand away from me. "I am not going to kill you again!" he snapped. "What if that's what I want?" I asked. "Why would you want that?" he asked. "Because I am just like you... grieving over the loss of a loved one."

"You have me, that's all you need!" he snapped. "We made a deal," he added sulking and turned away from me. "You choose to kill the one you love... I didn't have a choice. It was all taken from me, my family, my home, my friends, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker." Dreadraid halted and turned around. "My life turned upside down twice, the day Sunstreaker died, my life ended just like your life ended when you killed your sparkmate," I said. Dreadraid turned around, a scowl across his face. "What are you trying to say!" he sneered. "Nothing, just trying to make a point," I replied and looked up at the sky again. "I want to save Sideswipe for a few months because I feel like I failed him as well," I sulked. Dreadraid hit me as hard as he could and nearly knocked me out. I looked up to him. "Stupid bitch!" he shouted. "Then kill me!" I shouted back. He grabbed his knife and pointed it at me. "Do whatever you want... I don't care," I snapped. "I am not going to kill you again," he snarled.

I slowly got back up on my feet and rubbed my cheek. "Then leave me alone," I snapped, sitting back down on the rock. The next day, we were on our way again and said nothing to each other. In fact, after our fight the other night, we hadn't spoken to each other anymore. I had nothing to say to him anyway.