Chapter 9. Aftermath

Sideswipe wrapped his arm around me as he settled beside me. "You're okay?" he asked. I nodded and flashed him a smile. "What's going on, Sideswipe? Do they know who did this?"I asked. The mech shook his head, "no. They are thinking about a copycat, you know... someone who liked Sunstreaker's brutal way of killing," he said. I sighed and shook my head. Sideswipe tilted my head to study my face. "Don't worry, you'll be okay. I am sure they will catch the killer soon." I shrugged and hugged him. "Why Epps? I don't get it, Sideswipe," I muttered, leaning into him. "Me neither." I looked up as my name was called.

"You said you saw something?" Prowl asked. I nodded. "Yes, a tall muscular figure. It was too dark for me to see who it was," I said. "Why did you decide to check it out?" he asked."Well, I saw something from the corner of my eyes and I had a feeling something was off," I replied. "She saw something, Skylar was spooked when she came to me," Sideswipe added. I arched a brow. Prowl nodded, wrote something down, and walked off. "Why are you defending me?"I asked. "Some people think you have done it," he said. My eyes widened. "Me?! Why would I do something like that?"I exclaimed."You had a close bond with my brother. They think you want revenge for what they did to him or started to kill as well," Sideswipe explained.

"I wouldn't kill someone," I muttered and got up. "I know. You were with me the entire time, there's no way you could have done it anyway, but people also see that you are struggling and have severe grief," Sideswipe said. "I wouldn't kill... especially not Epps. I liked him and I know him pretty well," I sulked. Sideswipe pulled me back next to him. "I know... I know, don't be mad at me," he said and smiled. I grunted and looked at the many people surrounding us right now. "Hey!" I looked at Sideswipe again. "I know you wouldn't do something like that. They just keep every option open. Don't take it personally, alright?" I nodded, "I am going for a little walk. I need to clear my mind, okay?" Sideswipe kissed my cheek and let me go.

I did some basic things to keep myself distracted and occupied. I walked into the hangar where all the military vehicles are parked. Usually, it's a restricted area for soldiers. These cars need to be on standby 24/7 and they rather don't have people wandering between them. Especially the rookies. I placed a quite heavy box on the table for a moment to catch my breath and relief my arms for a second. I have been carrying it around from the other side of the base.

My eyes fell on a car. A military vehicle that stood out from all the others for some reason. All the cars were jeeps but this one was the black Lamborghini I have seen before. I walked up to the black car and ran my hand over the hood for a moment. N.E.S.T doesn't have cars like these, we have other types so it surprised me to see this car parked here in the hanger. Only the Autobots take other forms than military vehicles. I guess this car belongs to one of the higher placed soldiers here. I know some of them have expensive cars, but I have never seen this car around, except outside the base. The hood was relatively warm, as if it had been used moments ago. "To whom do you belong,"I muttered to myself. I stepped away from the car and grabbed the box, lifting it off the table with a grunt.

"Shall I carry that?"

A soldier walked up to me. "Oh, um thanks," I said as he took it from me. "Skylar, isn't it?" he asked. I nodded. "Nice to meet you, I am Julian," he said. "Nice to meet you," I said. "Hey, uhm... do you know to who this car belongs?" I asked and pointed at the black lamborghini. "No, one of the higher placed soldiers. In the other hanger is an orange McLaren parked... Does this car remind you of Sunstreaker?" he asked. "Sunstreaker is yellow... it's hard to imagine him in another color. He loved his paint job but... honestly, my mech could have had any color, still handsome to me."

"Your mech, huh?" he mocked. I shrugged and looked at the black car again. "I am glad no one wanted him... means I could claim him. You must hate him... like everyone else does," I sighed and looked at Julian again. "I don't necessarily hate him. He was a brilliant fighter but... that other side of him. Wasn't too fond of that. People couldn't even look at you or they were threatened by Sunstreaker," he mocked. I snorted, "ah, well... he had a personality," I said and smiled a little before standing at my full height again. "If you want to know to whom this car belongs... you can ask Reynolds," Julian said. I gave a small nod. "I will ask him and I will ask Sideswipe too."

"Anyway, shall we?" I asked. Julian nodded and followed me towards the storage room and had a drink together before I searched for Reynolds. "Are you busy?" I asked. He gestured me to come into his office. "I was wondering if you know to whom the black Lamborghini belongs." Reynolds stopped. "Black Lamborghini?" He asked. I nodded, "yeah... in hanger three."

"I don't know. I will ask around and see to whom it belongs. Maybe it's a vehicle of N.E.S.T." I gave him a look. "A Lamborghini?" I asked. He shrugged. "I will come back to you later but I have a lot of things to do," he said. "If it belongs to N.E.S.T... I can lease it, right?" He raised a brow. "In theory, but you're not working here. Maybe it's not even possible," he said. "Come on... if the car is from N.E.S.T I can lease it. You know me."

Reynolds sighed and crossed his arms. "I will do some research but you really need to talk to Lennox about it," he said. I gave a small nod and turned around, leaving.