Dissipate (Sophie's PoV)

A/N Double update today!!!

"Where's Wylie staying?" I asked, turning to Mr. Forkle. "We decided to let him stay with his father, as we were hoping it would trigger some memories." He looked disheartened. "But so far, he can't remember anything. And, might I add, he can't really do anything with shadowflux handcuffs. Someone has to help him eat and do normal necessities."

Tam looked slightly guilty, but also jumpy, as if the smallest surprise would cause him to bolt out of the room. Linh was patting his back, as if trying to relieve some tension from him.

"Hey Foster, want to play Base Quest? Maybe it will remove the stress waves I'm feeling from you," Keefe asked, interrupting my train of thought. He was fanning out his hands, and I felt myself turn red. "Yeah!" Biana squealed. "Let's take a break. We have to take a break, anyways."

Marella picked at the tiny braids in her hair. "And because Tam's not joining, I'm pretty sure girls will win," she added. Fitz protested. "But Linh won't be joining either!" Marella rolled her eyes. "Still. Tam's the one who can hide in the shadows."

I shrugged. "I think I'll go with Tam and Linh. I don't feel in the mood for playing games after what just happened," I answered.

Tam seemed to wake up from a daze and looked straight at me. "You can go with them," he said, almost sympathetically. I shook my head. "I... I think it's better I go with you. I won't be able to focus on Base Quest otherwise." Linh seemed grateful, giving me a small smile.

Mr. Forkle held up a leaping crystal. I held Linh's hand as we walked into the beam of light with the Collective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I concentrated on keeping my body together, I couldn't help but feel worried for Tam. He kept falling into these dazes, and I knew that wasn't normal. Especially for Tam.

It's just an effect of the soporidine, I thought, trying to comfort myself. Last I checked, Ro and Prentice didn't have dazes when they got a dose of soporidine, my brain replied. But they didn't breathe it in, I argued back. That seemed to shut up my ever-arguing brain. Still...

And then we were in front of Prentice and Wylie, who looked surprised at our arrival. Wylie nearly jumped out his chair. "Hi Wylie," Linh greeted him. Wylie gave her a small grin. Good, I thought. At least he's familiar with someone here.

"My twin brother Tam's going to see if he can remove the shadowflux handcuffs from your hands," Linh explained softly. Wylie nodded, slightly enthusiastic. Tam frowned. "Please Tam?" Linh begged. Tam shook his head. "That's not the problem. I want to do it, but I just noticed; it sort of looks like there's a connection between the handcuffs and his mind."

"Really?" I asked. Tam shrugged. "Kind of. I just did a quick shadowvapor reading, and... well, that's the best metaphor I can come up with." He turned to Wylie. "I hope you didn't mind me taking the shadowvapor reading." Wylie waved his hand in a silent gesture that told us he didn't care.

Tam studied Wylie with piercing silver eyes. I could tell Wylie was tempted to look away. "Is it okay if I reach out toward your- um- forehead?" Tam asked awkwardly. Wylie nodded.

Tam tentatively reached his hand out toward the center of Wylie's forehead until it was just touching the skin. Both Wylie and Tam's eyes closed, and silence ensued in the room.

Seconds turned into minutes, and those minutes added up to be five minutes before suddenly, out of nowhere, Tam collapsed. Linh and I both caught him at the same time. Wylie's head lolled to the side, eyes wide open and alert, and the shadow handcuffs around his wrists dissipated. He let out a sigh of relief. But my worries weren't about Wylie. Tam shook, almost as if he was in a seizure. His chest heaved. "Someone call Elwin!" I yelled, and I heard Mr. Forkle call for him using his imparter. I lowered Tam slowly to the ground.

Then he shivered again. He let out a deep, guttural wail that tore at my heart when I saw tears running down Linh's cheeks. Then he slowly turned limp. I felt for a pulse on his neck, but it was light, like a baby bird's. "Hurry!" I yelled. After what felt like hours, Elwin leaped into the room. "Let's get him to the Healing Center," he ordered. He held up a leaping crystal, and I jumped into the beam of light, holding Tam in tow.