CS Bonus Chapter| Fragile

~Kyson~

"Doctor Kyson, I think it's time we-"

"NO! We have to try at least...she's only..." 

My words get caught in my throat as pressed my hand to the small five-year-old girl's chest as the nurses are ready to do what I ask, but their hesitation is obvious and I stop. 

The heart rate monitor drops to a flat line as the beep becomes one long droning sound and one of the nurses turns the sound off. The young child's pale body laid lifeless on the operating table as I sucked in a breath and looked at the time on the monitor. 

"Time of death, 10:47," I call it and stand back, losing myself as they pull the anesthesia tube from her little throat and a white sheet is pulled over her body.

"You did all that you could Doctor Kyson, she just lost too much blood," the older nurse mentions with her hand on my shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze before walking away. 

I don't let the emotion get to me as I peel the bloody gloves and toss them in the hazardous waste with my surgical gown. Walking out of the operating room to be greeted by my intern who looked chipper than usual. 

"How did it go Doc-"
"Where's her family located?" 

I interrupt him and his smile quickly fades as he clears his throat and looks at his tablet connected to the hospital's servers while I shrug on my white coat once more. Looking in the mirror to make sure their daughter's blood wasn't smudged on my face. 

"In the pediatric waiting room sir, would you like me to move them to the debrief room?" He asks and I shake my head. 

"No Suny, the debrief room is only for successful surgeries. I can do it in the peds waiting room," I sigh as I walk in that general direction and Suny follows me.

The Crimson hospital was nothing like the hospital I trained at in Lotus, with Crimson's second-largest population and their dangerous jobs, it's easy to envision what their trauma center looks like. But you'll never know the feeling until you walk a mile in my shoes and every day is a toss-up between life and death with very few wins. 

The young girl came in after being shoved off the top of a tall slide at her pre-school where she fell headfirst. 

Just days away from entering her first year of Antum, it's very possible that the girl's destined mate is also feeling this tragic loss, not just her family. 

All because I couldn't get to her in time. 

When I face the girl's two mothers frantic in the waiting room as they waiting for me, their hopeful glances fading the second they saw my face. One instantly started wailing, quickly descending into a delirious state once I said the words to seal their little girl's fate. Her breathless gasping screams at the loss of her sweet baby broke me in a way I didn't think I could after a year of this job.

The other mother simply looked straight through me, dead to the world once I finished and a grief counselor quickly took my place. 

"Doc-"
"I need you to do rounds on the trauma floor, I'll be there later to check on the updated charts and make sure you run labs on that child, Hana," I quickly redirect Sunny and he blinks a few times before rushing in the opposite direction.