74| Til Death Due Us Part

~Galen~

"Can you slow down? You know you have more stamina,"
"And yet you're the one with the spicy love life,"
"Are you still mad about that?" 
"No, I'm mildly peeved,"
"Mild like your sex life?"

I jab him right back and Casper twists around on his heel as we were hiking a steep incline in the cliff. Stumbling, he would have eaten dirt and ferns if I hadn't caught him and broken his fall. He quickly pushes himself from my arms and I chuckle at his pouted angry antics. 

"I wish you were mute again,"
"But that makes no sense because I was never mute with you," 

I remind him, holding the straps of my backpack as he kicks a small rock and watches it roll while waiting for me to catch up. Cas and I do this hike once a month around this time. It's the steepest hike in all of Kailea, which is why not many people do it, but it has the best view midway to the top about nine miles in.

We started doing this after Casper started getting distant from our family. The prison needs him during rowdy nights more so than during the day, so he started working from 10 pm to 8 am. Which meant he was washing the blood off his hands at his small apartment around 9 am and didn't make it home until 10 am or at all sometimes. 

At the beginning of this year, he suffered from a bad burnout that had Tora forcing him to take time off against his will and they got into a large fight over it. Being Tora and Casper, it was so explosive it scared our kids to death and ended in the slamming of doors and Cas refusing to come home for weeks. 

Until I dragged him out of his shell and we didn't go straight home, we went on this hike instead. Since then we do it once a month just to talk between the two of us, but recently our conversations have been getting lighter and lighter.

 Which worries me because his sarcasm and light hearted humor usually signals that he's hiding something darker. 

"How are things going with Jace?" I ask and he released a deep sigh. 

"The doctor said he should be released tomorrow so I get to go surprise him. Can't wait to see what he says, I don't even think he knows yet," Cas explains. After Jace's third suicide attempt the hospital assigned his emergency contact as his chaperone in a sense. Little did Jace know that he still had Casper there.

"I think we'll be okay. I'm okay. It's been five years G, Ryu is obviously better and Jace didn't chase after him or do anything crazy. What happened was between Jace and Ryu, he's never really done anything against me," Cas tries to explain and I agree with him.