Chapter 13: Marked

He marked me. Kane fucking marked me. And it hurt. It hurt so bad. The pain radiated in my neck and I cried out.

"Hold on, baby. I can make the pain stop," he said, lapping at my neck.

His tongue soothed the physical pain but it did nothing for the pain in my heart. Marking was supposed to be mutual, not like this. It was supposed to be a special moment, where mates accepted each other for more than just the fact they were mates. For when they loved each other for who they were besides being a mate. When they both wanted to. Not like this.

I growled and found the strength, shoving him off me so hard he fell off the bed, landing on his ass. I thought maybe it wasn't real. Maybe he didn't actually mark me without asking me. I sat up on my knees, bringing my hand up to my neck. I felt the stickiness of the blood and it felt like my heart shattered. Marking was supposed to be a beautiful moment that was talked about. I'd been looking forward to marking my mate forever and what it would be like to have that special moment. It wasn't supposed to be like this. I brought my hand in front of me, seeing the blood covering my fingers. "You marked me," I whispered, my voice trembling. "You marked me," I repeated, bringing my eyes to his.

The guilty look on his face meant nothing. I was so angry. So hurt. Tears stung my eyes and I couldn't stop them from falling down my cheeks.

"I trusted you," I cried, the tears coming out way too easily now. "You asshole!" I screamed, grabbing a pillow and throwing it at him.

His face crumpled and he got up, coming towards me.

"Don't you fucking touch me!" I yelled, clambering off the bed and shoving him again. "How could you? How could you do that to me??"

"Tess," he whimpered. "I'm s-"

"I don't want your fucking apology! Get out!" I screamed, pushing him to the door.

"Tess," he tried again. "Baby, I'm sorry, I pani-"

"Don't 'baby' me, you prick! Get the fuck out!"

I stalked to the door and threw it open, not caring we were both naked.

"Out," I growled, grabbing his arm and yanking him forward.

He stopped in the doorway and turned to me, whimpering. He reached for me. "Tess, please, hear me ou-"

"No! Stay away from me!"

I pushed him back, slamming the door and locking it. I leaned back against the door and sunk to the floor, bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around myself. I normally had such control, such a tight hold on myself. But I couldn't stop it. Not this time. The way I felt now was so much more intense than anything I'd ever experienced, especially because for whatever stupid fucking reason he was hurting too and his combined with mine was just too much. Way too much. How could he do that to me?

I started sobbing, unable to stop, unable to gain control. My whole body shook and it felt like my chest would cave in. I couldn't breathe. The mark burned. He hadn't finished cleaning it up. He was supposed to lick until the bleeding stopped and since I stopped it, the blood was still coming down, dripping down my shoulder and making me cry harder.

"Tess," Kane whimpered from the other side of the door. "Baby, please. Please let me in," he pleaded.

"Get the fuck out of here!" I screamed, bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around myself. "I never want to see you again. Never. I hate you!"

"Tess," Kane whimpered. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry. Let me make it right, let me explain-"

"Get out of here!" I repeated, crying harder and curling up tighter.