veirzehn

Sunday.

Marco's trial lasted less than a week - six days to be exact. He waited, each and every day, watching the door for her to step through. But she didn't.

On the first day, he wasn't that surprised that she didn't turn up, and if he was being honest, after what she had done, he didn't really want her there in the first place.

However that night, when he went back to his cell, he realised two things. The first being: everything she had done, whether it was kissing mats or using their savings on a lawyer, it had all been for him.

The second thing he realised was that nobody else in his life would have done what she did. Not his mother or his father, nor his brother who had all disowned him and cut all contact with him. If she didn't love him, why would she have went to so much trouble to get him free?

As silly as it sounds, when the clock on Marco's cell wall struck 11:11, he made a wish. One which unfortunately for Marco didn't come true. His wish was for her to turn up to the second day of his trial.

During the second day, Marco couldn't quite fully focus on what was being said by the various people of importance. Instead, he watched the door intently, hoping for some miracle which would have led her to walk in three hours late.

He was worried. Did she finally give up on me? Did I overreact? Is she coming tomorrow? Is she okay? All of these questions ran through his mind, so much so, that it was difficult for him to get to sleep that night. It registered with Marco at four in the morning that three hours of sleep and a dull day at court for the third day in a row does not make for a happy person.

And so, on the third day he was completely unaware of everything, except from the door. Still, she didn't come. When the court was all packed up and Miroslav was ready to leave, he stopped him.

"Where is she?" Was all that he asked. It was blunt. It led Miroslav to wonder why this sweet, innocent girl with her whole life ahead of her would be brought down the dark paths by some psychopathic wannabe criminal.

"At home, I suppose," Miroslav replied before curtly walking away. "Anywhere but near you." He added quietly, so that Marco couldn't hear him, but he did.

Without knowing it, the older German's whispered words stuck with Marco. Once more that night, he lay in his bed, tossing and turning against the covers which would surely leave scratches on his legs the next morning. All he could think about was her. And he worried. Did I just lose the best thing I ever had in my life?

On the fourth day, Marco, who had slept for barely two hours, almost fell asleep in the court room. He was nudged in the side by the sharp elbow of Miroslav and sent a disapproving look.

He wanted so desperately to ask Miroslav to check on her for him but he knew that he'd simply refuse. Miroslav thought Marco was everything she didn't need; a 'criminal,' controlling, careless and unloving.

In his mind, a girl as sweet as she was deserved someone perfect, which to him, Marco was not. He couldn't place his finger on what was so special about Marco which caused her to dote on him do much.

On the fifth day, Marco had somewhat managed to get a decent amount of sleep which meant he was able to listen to the final arguments given by the defence and prosecution. He still couldn't shake the feeling that something was dreadfully wrong. She would have turned up by now, wouldn't she?

That night, when Marco's body was asleep, his mind was fully awake, dreaming of different scenarios, all of them including her. He dreamed of her running off, with a brunette male carrying her bridal style. He dreamed of her lying in a hospital bed, various wires attached to her, keeping her alive. He dreamed of her laying in their own bed, unable to sleep due to thoughts about him.

In the morning, he woke up drenched in a cold sweat. What if a machine was beeping somewhere, keeping her alive? What if she had ran off with someone who appreciated her more than he had ever done? What if she simply wanted to stay away until he had calmed down about the kiss?

The jury was out of the court deliberating for just thirty minutes on the sixth day. It was such a short time for the jury to take in five days of evidence and strong arguments. In the end, they came back with a not guilty verdict. Miroslav's defensive arguments had been too strong for the prosecution to break down. It was clear to anyone; Marco had not committed these crimes.

When they had won the case, Miroslav had simply shook Marco's hand and said, "Go home now son." Marco smiled and nodded, replying with a "Thank you."

He was free, able to walk out of the court room door and have normal human rights once more. He was free, able to saunter into his old home, which had no sign of her in the two rooms he had forced himself to check. He was free but she was missing.

-

a/n: oops, where has she gone?? but thank you for reading, remember to vote and all that stuff and have a good day. much love, eva xo.