Chapter 19

📍 Brooklyn, New York / Baltimore, Maryland | May 2024

Sapphire was writing down in her journal as she finished her toast on the couch.

There was a loud knocking that came to her door. She breathed out, rolling her eyes. She knew who was exactly behind the relentless knocks.

"Fuck you, Steve. Fuck you for that promise," Sapphire cursed under her breath as she stood up.

"Shut the fuck up, Sam," she called out, getting annoyed by the knock.

Sapphire opened it with a glare on her face, revealing an amused Sam.

"Good afternoon to you too, Monkey. Long time no see," He smiled, satisfied with bringing annoyance to her.

She scowled at him before calling out, "Come out of that stairs before I push you down on it."

Bucky leaned his head on the wall and clenched his jaw, "Fuck."

Then, he peaked out the wall, seeing a Sapphire with a stoic face and Sam with a smirk.

Bucky breathed out before walking towards them.

Sam turned his head back to the white-haired woman, "Now, we came bearing gifts." He got the basket from Bucky to give it to her.

She furrowed her brows, opening the basket and seeing a bunch of grapes.

Sam turned to Bucky with a frown, "This your fault."

"Excuse me?" Bucky was taken a back bu his accusation.

"I told you that we give her grape juice," Sam argued at Bucky because of Sapphire's reaction.

"She doesn't drink grape juice," Bucky defended.

"I'm sorry, Monkey. Bucky said they were your favorite," Sam glared at Bucky  which earned him a jab on the side from the man.

"Dude," Sam shoves him, seeing Bucky's pissed face. They had about a 30-minute argument in the grocery store on what to bring Sapphire. 

Sam insisted on a lot of things that Bucky rejected because he knows that Sapphire doesn't like any of Sam's suggestions to bring her.

"No, it's okay. I was just shocked that you brought something. I love grapes but not grape juice," Sapphire told Sam. "Thank you."

"How have you been this past 6 months?" Sam asked with amused politeness.

Sapphire glared once more,  answering him, "Mad. Angry. Furious. Enough to punch you through the fucking wall. Take your pick."

He also had 6 months to check on her but her never did. 

Sam laughed nervously as he felt the heaviness of her words cripple down his spine.

"Anyways," he cleared his throat. "We're here because-"

"Because you need my help, especially with that captain wannabe that looks like Karl from UP," She cut him off.

"Hey! You don't gotta do my man Karl like that. He's way much better," Sam defended the cartoon character.

"Who's Karl?" Bucky asked under his breath, which Sam heard.

"Oh, he's the man who married his childhood best friend, stuck with her all the hard times until Eli, his wife died. And even then, he still loved her and fulfill their dream to go to Paradise Falls. Bittersweet story really," Sam waved him off like it was nothing. "You should watch it. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two about commitment," Bucky knew his underlying message, which annoyed the crap out of him.