Chapter 17

📍 USAF Base / Munich, Germany | May 2024

"Look, here's the thing, uh, I'm not Tony Stark, I'm not Dr. Banner, okay? I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it. Because I got big shoes to fill," John Walker, the new Captain America said during his interview.

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" The lady who was interviewing him asked.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene. I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his," Walker answered, which made Sapphire roll her eyes as she watched him on television.

"You've always wanted to be a hero?"

"I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that. He gave me hope. Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother," He replied.

Sapphire scoffed, turning off the television. It's making her want to punch through the screen and strangle his neck.

While in the USAF base, Joquin Torres commented, "Seems like a good guy."

"You met him?" Sam asked.

"No."

"Thanks for doing this on such short notice," Sam told him.

"Yeah. No sweat. I'm just finishing up the checklist. You'll be all good to go once you land in Munich," they talked, going down the stairs and bringing equipment to the aircraft.

"Shouldn't have given up the shield," Bucky called him out as he walked towards Sam, who was descending on the stairs.

He also felt the same annoyance towards Walker.

"Good to see you too, Buck," Sam greeted.

"This is wrong," He replied to him as they walk.

"Hey, hey, look, I'm working, all right? So all this outrage is gonna have to wait," Sam said.

"You didn't know that was gonna happen?" Bucky asked.

"No, of course, I didn't know that was gonna happen. You think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

Bucky reminded him, "Steve didn't want this."

"Oh, my God. What do you want me to do? Call America and tell 'em I changed my mind? Huh?" Sam chuckled, "Yeah, right. It's a great reunion, buddy, be well."

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam," Bucky said in all seriousness.

"Hey. This is what you're not gonna do. You're not gonna come here in your overextended life and tell me about my rights. It's over Bucky. Besides, I have bigger things to deal with now," Sam explained to him.

"What could be bigger than this?" Bucky asked, narrowing his eyes at him in disbelief.

"This guy."

"His connections with rebel organizations all over Eastern and Central Europe, and he's strong. Too strong," Sam said to Bucky.

"And?" He asked, wanting more information.

"Well, he's been connected to this online group called the Flag Smashers. Now, Redwing traced them to a building somewhere outside of Munich. So that's where I'm going," Sam answered.

Bucky gave him an unbothered look, "Well, I don't trust Redwing."

"Hold on a minute. You don't have to trust Redwing, but I'mma go see if he's right. 'Cause I have a feeling they might be a part of the Big Three."

"What 'Big Three'?" Bucky furrowed his brows.

"The Big Three," Sam spoke like Bucky was supposed to know what he was talking about.

"What Big Three?" Bucky asked again.

"Androids, aliens, and wizards," Sam listed.

"That's not a thing."

"That's definitely a thing," Sam retorted.

"No, it's not," Bucky refused his ideology.

But Sam kept insisting, "Every time we fight, it's one of the three."

"Who are you fighting now? Gandalf?" Bucky asked rhetorically.

"That's-" Sam was taken aback by his statement, "How do you know about Gandalf?"

"I read The Hobbit in 1937 when it first came out."

"So, you see my point?" Sam rose his brows up.

"No, I don't. There are no wizards," Bucky was getting aggravated by his ridiculousness.

"Doctor Strange," Sam named drop.

"Is a sorcerer," Bucky finished, which made Sam exclaimed, "Aha!"

He pointed one finger up, chuckling, "A sorcerer is a wizard without a hat. Think about it. Right? I'm right. I just came up with that. It's crazy."

Then, he snapped out of the humor, "But that's not the point. These guys aren't magical. They use brute force like you, the incredibly annoying guy in front of me with the staring problem and commitment issues."

"I don't have commitment issues," Bucky gritted.

"Oh?" Sam made a mocking shock expression. "Is that why you left your fiancé? Who by the way, almost died multiple times because of your ass."

"Don't. Include her. In this." Bucky warned him.

Sam rolled his eyes and huffed at him. Truth be told, he was kind of salty for Bucky leaving Sapphire. 

Because it takes guts to go back and forth hell for someone you love. And Sam witness front row how that woman did it for Bucky over and over again.

"You should really patch things up with her," Sam suggested before making his way to the plane.

"I'm coming with you," Bucky told him, ignoring what he just said.

Sam refused, "No, you're not."

They did board the plane with Bucky and sat across from one another.

They flew for a moment heading to Munich.

"One minute to drop off, Sam," Torres informed them.

"So what's our plan?" Bucky asked him, which Sam didn't respond to. "Great. So no plan."

"Thirty seconds!"

"Enjoy your ride, Buck," Sam said, getting his goggles ready.

Bucky shoots him a glare, "No, you can't call me that."

"Why not? That's what Steve called you," Sam asked.

"Steve knew me longer, and Steve had a plan."

"Fifteen seconds to drop."

"I have a plan," Sam told him as he stood at the open door of the plane.

"Really? What is it?" Bucky asked before Sam looked at him and jumped off.

"Great. Where's the chute?" Bucky looked around for it.

"We're at 200 feet. It's too low for a chute," Torres said to him.

Bucky stood by the same door, ripping a sleeve off of his leather jacket to free his metal arm, "I don't need it anyway."

"You sure about that?" Torres asked him.

"Yeah," Bucky answered before jumping out and yelling when he began to descend to the shrubs of trees.

He grunted and groaned as his back landed on the hard ground.

Redwing hovered over Bucky while Sam spoke through the comms, "I have all of that on camera. You know that, right?"

"Get out of my face, Sam, or I'll break it," Bucky threatened.

Sam knew that he would do it, so he didn't push it further, "Okay, head north. Come on."