Equals (DreamTale)

Summary: Nightmare puts Dream in a position where he could easily kill him. Nightmare spares Dream, and Dream is determined to find out why. 

(Fgod AU)

~

Dream was playing cards with Blue. "Uno." Dream said, making Blue jump. Blue had been a lot more jumpy lately, for the past 2 years-actually. Ever since he was kidnapped. At first Dream suspected a trauma disorder, but the suspicion was discarded after Dream caught Error and Blue fighting. But, Error and Blue never tried hurting each other. In fact-everyone in Nightmare's Gang avoided Blue at all costs. Maybe he had blackmail material? 

"Pick up 4, I change the colour to blue, Uno!" Blue replied, Dream snapping out of his thoughts. "Darn! I can never win against you!" Dream pouted, picking up 4 cards. Blue let out a mwehehe and threw down his last card after Dream threw his down. Dream frowned in a childish way, disappointed in his loss.

"Guys! The Gang is attacking another universe! We gotta go!" Ink exclaimed. Dream and Blue followed their soulless friend to the portal, all of them jumping in. Dream still wasn't exactly sure why they kept attacking, and only when it was positive. But still, innocent lives were in danger, and they needed to help! Nightmare and his Gang were attacking a small town near a forest. Dream and the other two appeared and Ink shouted, "Your reign has come to an end!" Dream saw Nightmare roll his eye and the gang attacked. 

Dream was always forced to handle Nightmare, due to his positive arrows being able to damage him. Dream never wanted to hurt his brother, but he didn't know what else he could do. "Call for backup!" Ink exclaimed after being thrown into a tree. Dream quickly dialed the others and more Sanses and Papyruses arrived, ready for a fight. What was a battle had turned into an ambush. 

Dream was growing more tired with each blow, the negativity drowning him. But, Dream was determined to beat them. Finally, Error wrapped everyone up, and Dream was thrown into a tree-finally defeated. Nightmare began to approach him.

This was it for him, wasn't it? He always knew that Nightmare would end up killing him, but he'd always held hope it wasn't true. The trapped people were shouting at Nightmare, to stop, sending threats. Nightmare stood above Dream, glaring down at his twin. Dream shut his eyes, ready for his final blow. 

.

.

.

Nightmare kicked his leg, causing Dream to gasp from the sudden pain. "Alright we're done here, let's get out of here." None of the Bad Sanses seemed fazed when Nightmare spared Dream, and it confused Dream-along with everyone else. Nightmare had the perfect opportunity to kill Dream, so why didn't he take it? He had been trying to kill Dream for years! So there's no way he could care...

...Right?

Blue was bandaging Dream's wounds while Ink rested. Blue noticed Dream's confusion, but didn't say anything. If Dream wanted to know, he'd have to find out for himself, not from Blue. 

Dream had been conflicted from their last battle for a few days now, and he finally decided to do something. Dream made a plan on how to infiltrate Nightmare's castle. He planned on putting a tracker on him, pinpointing his location, and then finding clues. If Nightmare had decided to give Dream a more gruesome fate, Dream decided to be ready to avoid it. 

After Dream managed to pinpoint the location of the castle, he took off after the Bad Sanses left. 

Dream landed gracefully on the ground, right in the middle of a living room of some sort. There was a large TV, along with photos and other objects. One of the pictures involved the Bad Sanses at a picnic or something. Dust and Killer were running away from Horror, Error freaking out over Fresh, who was giving finger guns, Geno and Reaper cuddling, Lust and Blue seemingly having a good conversation, judging by Lust's interested and curious face-along with Blue's happy smile, Classic napping beside a bottle of ketchup, and Nightmare, looking at the camera with a frown. There was a caption at the bottom. 'Us and the Neutrals!' 

Dream frowned, feeling a little bit of guilt. They all looked so happy, especially Blue, There was a tablet, and Dream turned it on. He searched through it, finding nothing but dumb games and questionable search histories. The tablet was obviously Horror's, due to the background being him, Aliza, and Crook. Dream opened the photo app. There were pictures of him and the Bad Sanses, a few random videos, a lot of memes, and then Dream across a video folder. 'Fun with the family!'

Dream looked at the first video.

"Psst, Nightmare!"

Nightmare glanced at the camera, and stared at Horror in confusion.

"Goopy Octopus is missing his b-"

"HORROR SHUT UP OR I WILL MURDER YOU!"

Dream chuckled at a few moments. Then the next video was of Horror walking with Aliza and Crook. They ran into Undyne, and then the Bad Sanses hopped through a portal to defend them. 

"That's not how I expected this trip to go..."

Dream smiled, watching the videos. He finally stopped on a photo of Error and the Charas.

Next, Dream went upstairs. He eventually stumbled upon a few rooms, each labeled. Apparently, both Blue AND Classic had a room there! Then he came across a dark purple and black room, with Nightmare's name on it. 

He entered, closing the door behind him and turning the light on. 

It was... surprising. The room had royal purple walls, black patterns across it. The floor was black boarding, a carpet with a moon on it in the center. A neatly made bed sat in a corner, black and yellow sheets. Nightmare's room was normal-except for one of the walls.

It was his letters.

Dream had wrote to Nightmare for years, stopping last year. He had hoped his brother would at least respond, but alas, Dream never got a note back. Dream thought Nightmare threw them away, but there was a large wall, filled with nothing but his letters. Dream looked at the overflowing bin, and took one note out. According to the date, it was written last week.

The letter was talking about random things until it reached the last sentence.

One day I hope we can create peace, and then maybe, you can sit by my side, and help me with the balance.

Dream took note of the paintings around the room. There was a picture of a throne room. Two large thrones-one black and purple with a moon, the other yellow and white with a sun. But the largest painting was of the tree of feelings.

Dream shook his head, walking over to the nightstand beside the bed. There was the golden crown with a moon-the very same one that Nightmare wore. But the photo made Dream shiver. It was a photo of him and Nightmare, in his passive form, before the apple incident. He picked up the photo and stared, tears welling in his eyes. "He... Cares about me?"

The door creaked open, making Dream yelp and turn around-still holding the photo. There was Nightmare, staring back at Dream There was silence for a moment before Nightmare sighed. "I figured it was a matter of time before this happened."

Dream didn't talk, but instead ran up and hugged his brother, making Nightmare jump. But eventually, Nightmare smiled, tears rolling down his eyes, and hugged back. 

~Bonus~

"Ooooh~ Finally making up with your bro Mama Nootmare?" Killer teased, absolutely destroying the precious brotherly moment. "YOU'LL PAY FOR RUINING THIS GOLDEN FAMILY MOMENT!" Nightmare screeched, running after Killer.