Chapter Seven: What I Am

“Avery!” The voice yells out.

I move my comforter closer to me, ignoring Sammy and Joey. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the dogs are making rambunctious noise, yet here I stay, sad and worthless. Why does this always happen to me? What did I do to deserve such thing?

The door opens wide. Sammy and Joey worriedly sit on my bed, scanning my sad face. “Baby girl,” Joey says, cooingly. “Avery, come on. Don’t be sad about that worthless man, he doesn’t deserve you anyways.” Joey moves my hair out of my face, and then cups my cheek. “Baby girl, you do know that everything happens for a reason, right?”

Why do they keep telling me that everything happens for a reason? I mean, I know that everything does happen for a reason but I’m so tired of hearing it. I’m so tired of men. They always end up hurting me, and everybody knows that I have a fragile heart. “Leave me alone,” I murmur. “I don’t want to see the lights anymore.” I state, grumbling in response.

“Avery,” Sammy pulls my feet, trying to drag me off of the bed. “This is what happens when you hope too much babe. Get up, we’re going to shop!” Sammy pulls my feet until I slowly slide downwards, reaching the cool ground.

My head is face down, making me kiss the ground. “Avery doesn’t want to shop if she’s not happy, and I haven’t withdrawn my money from the bank yet.” I say, all gurgled. “I don’t want to live anymore!” I stand up from the cold floor and launch myself to my comfy bed.

Joey laughs at me, “You’re so blinded by love baby girl.” Joey takes my hand, pulling me upwards. “Avery, he’s an idiot for using you. Don’t be sad. Oh my, this is actually the first time I’ve seen you all so pouty!” Joey exclaims. “Come on, get up, we’re going to spoil you today.” Joey pushes me towards my bathroom, while Sammy throws my towel on my face.

Finding the courage to take a cold shower, I throw my clothes over the hamper and turn the knob on. At least this will help me think straight. It’ll help me move on, and I’m pretty sure that I’ll be able to move on. I’m such a happy person that I wouldn’t dare to even think twice about moving on. He’s just a boy, an obnoxious boy that will never have the same feelings for you. “But remember, you’re an idiot yourself for thinking that he has feelings for you.” I tell myself.

Once I’m all clean and refreshed, I put on the baby pink summer dress I randomly found in my closet. I sit on my vanity and apply only a minimal choice of makeup. Grabbing the latch of my bag, I walk out of my bedroom and proceed to the living room. “I’m ready!” I say in fake enthusiasm.

Sammy stands up, eyeing me closely. She raises her hand and gives me a hard smack my cheek, “Okay, I think you’re ready. You need to look like yourself and not all heartbroken! Men are a pain in the butt. I know that but if he just used you, then he doesn’t deserve my best friend.” She firmly tells me. “And please, stop acting like a fictional character from a cheesy love story. This is reality Avery! Men do not care what women think! They only care about their juniors!”  

Sammy opens the door, for us to exit. She takes her keys from her purse and shoves our key inside the keyhole, locking it shut. “Ugh! This is the reason why I date women too! Men are complicated species in women’s lives.”

Joey and I laugh at Sammy’s rant about men. Sammy’s bisexual, but she’s dealt with more woman than men in her whole life. Joey is also bisexual but she’s only had a few girlfriends, unlike Sammy. I think that they go well with each other. They’ve been together for almost five years, yet none of them would like to settle in and have a family, just like Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka.