Four

The glass of wine in my hand was the only thing keeping my sane. In these situations I always found it best to ignore whatever the man was saying, as it didn't much matter anyway. Whatever I said would be going in one ear and out of the other and it would only be a matter of time before he got tired of hearing me talk and kissed me. Then it would be back to my place. His was off limits because he wouldn't want me to stalk him. He didn't know if I was one of those crazy girls.

Anyway, we'd go to mine, and he'd act humble and only kiss and touch lightly until it's me who takes initiative and pushes him to do more. It would go on into the early hours of the day, where he would sneak out of my bed and leave my place forever. Or that's what he thought would happen. I took the rest of the bitter white wine on one gulp and set the glass back on the cloth covered table.

He stopped talking. "Is something wrong, Veronica?" It was a fake name. I looked nothing like a Veronica. If only he knew. I smiled at him, and his eyes flicked down to my lips, covered with red lipstick. All men loved a girl in red lipstick. Told them she knew she was sexy and she knew how to make her own way in the world. I wore it to entice men, just as powerful women wear it to confuse them.

"There's a lot of things wrong, James." I told him, leaning forward, reaching my arm across the table and setting my hand on top of his lightly. "But there's only one thing that you could fix for me." He grinned and looked around.

The restaurant was nearly deserted, save for a couple in the corner and a few scattered lone men near the front; as per request. I had to make him believe it was real. It was real.

"Are you coming onto me?" He asked stupidly, getting a sick sort of gleam in his eye as if just because I was here we could get away with fucking on the table top. "James," I said sounding bored. "Let's get out of here, shall we?" I slipped my arm underneath the table then and while grinning at him, I slipped my bracelet onto the carpeted floor.

He signaled to the waiter and he came with the check. I watched as he inputted his credit card information and handed the waiter back his notepad with no tip for him. I watched as he stood, getting far too excited. "Help me into my jacket?" I asked him. If I moved too much, he might be able to see the bulletproof vest I wore underneath my dress. Or the knives strapped to a sheath around my thigh.

He did, grabbing it from the back of my chair and holding it up for me to slip my arms through. He took my hand and led me to the door before I pretended to look at my wrist. "Oh, god. I think I lost my bracelet!" I exclaimed frowning.

He turned looking impatient and frowned along with me. "Were you even wearing one?" I looked back at the table. "I think that's it, under the table, I'll be right back." I went to the table, kneeled down and reached under the table speaking into the microphone hidden in my necklace.

"Targets in place, I'm moving in. Lock the doors." I picked up the bracelet, slid it on and the reached up and took hold of the silenced pistol velcroed to the bottom of the table. I stood up and turned. "So, James." He looked at me strangely before noticing the gun in my hands. I cocked it. "It occurred to me that you like hurting girls." He backed up into the wall before turning and trying the door. It was locked on my command.

"Hey! She's got a gun!" He yelled, looking around the room. Everyone was still eating, still ignoring the scene going on around them. Just what they were being paid to do. He looked at me confused and banged in the plexi-glass door. He wasn't going anywhere. "What the hell is wrong with you people, she's going to kill me." I laughed.

"Yes, I am, James. Do you know why I'm going to kill you, or would you like me to refresh your memory?" He whimpered like the sad sack of shit he was and I started towards him, watching his shrink back into the corner, putting his hands up in the air, as if to ward off evil spirits when the only evil spirit in this room was his. As I neared, he whimpered again.