epilogue: high school sweetheart

FIVE MONTHS LATER (a month after the last epilogue) :

"I'm so nervous, I can't do it Zayn! Nope, I'm backing out. That's it. I'll tell Niall to break the news to Coach--"

Zayn groans, pushing himself off Harry's messy bed and seizes the pacing boy's wrists, facing him towards himself and locking their eyes.

"Listen to me. You're going to do great. You're in excellent form, you're going to kick ass out there," Zayn says honestly.

"But Zayn I couldn't even score in the last two games a-and I don't know why--"

"Stop! Just stop, okay Harry?" Zayn says, his expression serious and Harry just nods. "You're an amazing player, stop putting yourself down. This attitude won't be helping you in your game today."

Harry absorbs his words, then sighs, running his free hand through his long hair.

"I-I guess, yeah. It's just the nerves talking. I won't let my team down," Harry shakes his head and Zayn nods firmly, lifting his hand up and kissing it.

"Exactly, they need one of their best players, and I know you can do it. You fared well in games even bigger than this and scored," Zayn smiles, and Harry smiles back, leaning his forehead against Zayn's.

"When you occasionally say the right things, boy do you say them perfectly," Harry says as he pulls back, shaking his head with a teasing smile, and Zayn frowns playfully, pulling Harry closer again.

"Should I be offended?"

Harry smiles, as he wraps his arms around his boyfriend of almost six month's neck, playing with his hair. "Nope. I'm so grateful for you being here, you know. Listening to me whining and shaking with nerves on the day of my game and I- I really needed this. Thank you baby," he says, face buried in Zayn's neck who shivers from the warm breath ticking his neck, and from Harry's words.

Zayn soothingly rubs his hands down Harry's back as the younger boy kisses his neck.

"Well I want to be here, I promise I'll always be with you in every tough situation, and whenever you'll need me," Zayn says fervently, his eyes nothing but honest, and Harry gulps down a wave of emotion.

"I love you so much Zayn, you're perfect," Harry murmurs, then his mouth parts in shock, his expression mirroring Zayn's.

"Zayn I-"

"You love me?" Zayn asks, his voice quivering, and Harry just nods, his body frozen, forest green locking with liquid caramel.

"Show me then," Zayn murmurs.

Harry leans down and slowly but firmly kisses his boyfriend, who instantly kisses back like it's second nature, his fingers slipping into Harry's curls.

"And I love you, but I'm far from perfect, Har," Zayn says when they part, his heart beating fast and his body feeling light when he finally says the three words to Harry with the utmost truth laced in them.

Yes. He's madly in love with the curly haired idiot, and Zayn has no idea when was the exact moment it had happened and why he hadn't got the guts to say it until now. But it didn't matter. All that matters is that now someone as adorable and caring and sweet and understanding as Harry loved him back. Sure, they're still young, but Zayn is sure that Harry will always be his high school sweetheart who he won't ever forget.

"You don't think you're perfect but--" Harry kisses him, then murmurs against his lips. "You're perfect to me."

Zayn says nothing and just kisses Harry harder, moving his hands to Harry's bum as he pries his soft lips open, deepening their heated kiss.