72.

After sending Harry on his mission to check up on Zayn, Louis himself sets out to find Liam and tell him, to do what he came here for. He hopes Zayn and Harry work everything out after tonight. Drama wasn't supposed to be in the cards for them tonight, but oh well, that's what makes you stronger.

Making his way downstairs and back into the party, Louis passes the kitchen and catches a huge Batman cake sitting on the marble island. Fondly rolling his eyes, Louis walks further, pushing through people, and spots Liam where he'd last met him, close to the door where he's still greeting his guests and onto another can of soda. So Liam doesn't like to drink either, interesting.

But Liam does have a kidney problem so maybe that's why he doesn't drink. Louis is not going to ponder on how the hell he knows that. He's pretty apt at stalking after all, it turns out.

Wringing his hands, Louis stares at Liam for a while, just like he has been staring at him from afar for almost two whole years.

And now he gets to talk to him. In person, and though texts. He gets to be on the recieving end of the smile he's dreamt about for so long, and he is also enjoying being the reason of it lately, be it through being Lucas-- or like tonight-- as being himself.

He's gotten to know Liam so much during just these two months texting him, and Louis would never change these two months for anything, even though it seems like a good idea and he wouldn't have to be in the mess that he is in at this moment.

But they do say everything happens for a reason. Maybe this had to happen too.

After staring at Liam creepily like he's accustomed too, Louis looks away, exhaling heavily and thinking of what to say first.

Turning around and slipping behind a wall, Louis leans his back against it, and pulls his phone out.

louis: your party was today, right? sorry i couldn't make it leeyum. dont cry too much

He peeks behind the pillar to see Liam quickly pull his phone out and skim over the text. The older boy rolls his eyes as he taps a reply. Seconds later Louis' phone pings, and with a start, he hastily switches it to silent (even though its noisy all around) and reads Liam's reply.

liam: wouldn't expect any less from you. you chickened out, oh how surprising

Louis bites on his lower lip, phone clutched tightly between his fingers. Liam's right. He's being a chicken. A coward. He started this so he must end this. And like Liam himself said, he won't know what Liam would do unless Louis outs himself.

He texts Liam again.

louis: i'm actually here, just messing with you. i'll find you soon ;)

Liam checks his phone again, and Louis notices how Liam's lips quirk up into a smirk, and then his eyes widen as he looks up and casts his gaze around.

He waits a good few minutes. Taking another gulp of fresh air (as fresh as the party air can get), Louis rubs his hands on his black skinny jeans that are rolled up till his ankles. Squeezing his eyes shut and then opening them again, he pushes his glasses up his nose and moves away from the wall, crossing the short distance and approaching Liam.

"Uh, Liam?" Louis asks softly, but he doesn't hear. Louis takes a deep breath and repeats his name louder, and Liam turns, then smiles at him. Excusing himself from his friends, he moves closer to the small lad.

"Ah, so I'm guessing you want me to save you cake?" Liam smirks.

"I'm not a kid who's only here for the soda and cake y'know," Louis huffs in annoyance, making Liam chuckle.