ʜᴏᴡ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴇɢᴀɴ

Sirius disapparated to his home late at night. Having spent the day with his friends and his godson, the man had finally decided to return home after being out all day. He removed his trusty leather jacket, tossing it on the couch, and walked to the kitchen. Sirius pulled out a flask of fire whisky, tipping the drink into a glass and drinking it all at once.

"Finally," a voice spoke, walking into the room.

Sirius turned his gaze to his fiancée, his grey eyes meeting the woman's brown ones. Iris Graham stared at her lover with a mixed look of anger, disappointment and weariness. The woman was very familiar with that situation by now, it all being too typical for her. The man had been like this since Iris started dating him, always prioritizing his friends over his family. While he was only dodging her only to be with his friends, the woman didn't care. However, recently the woman had discovered that the long days that were spent in the Potters' house were not just for them but also for Marlene Mckinnon who was in the residence most of the time.

"It's late," Sirius commented and the woman gave a humorless laugh.

"So you are not as dumb as you look," the woman replied and the man sighed.

"I'm not doing that tonight," Sirius said walking past the woman and walking to his room.

Iris wasn't going to say anything but her eyes caught a glimpse of the lipstick mark on the man's neck. The woman had a wave of feelings going through her almost immediately. She was angry, sad and mostly, ashamed. She had always known that Sirius wasn't with her because he liked her. Iris knew that the only reason the man was there was because of Adhie, but not even his own daughter was a good enough reason for the man to stay home. The woman knew that for him the Potters would always come first and that even if she tried, her daughter would never reach the same level of importance of Harry Potter in her fiancées' life.

"She waited for you," the woman let out and Sirius stopped; a guilty sigh coming out of his mouth and turned to the woman.

"I was busy," the man justified.

"I noticed," Iris replied, wiping the remnants of lipstick on the man's neck.

Sirius sighed and leaned back against the stair railing, his eyes staring at the woman.

"What do you want to know? If I was with Marlene? Oh, come on Iris. You know the answer," the man said with a bored tone and the woman laughed incredulously.

"Fuck you, Sirius," cursed the woman walking away but the man remained inexpressive.

"I like her, I'm sorry but I do. You shouldn't be mad about it by now, it's no news," stated Sirius and Iris shook her head.

"You think this is about me? Sirius, this has nothing to do with me. You think I don't know that you have no feelings for me?" spat the woman.

"What is it about, then? Because certainly, it does look like you're mad because I was with another woman after I already told you I didn't want to be with you anymore," retorted the man.

"It's about your daughter, Sirius! It's her birthday and you haven't shown up," accused the woman and Sirius rolled his eyes.

"She's a child, I guarantee she doesn't care about that half as much as you do," the man staggered and the woman shook her head in disbelief.

"Besides, what more do you want from me? I already came to live with you and even got engaged to you, because it was the right thing to do for her," Sirius said and Iris sighed.

"How about decency, Sirius? We are together. For Merlin's sake, we have a daughter," the woman exclaimed and the man rolled his eyes.

"So maybe we shouldn't do this anymore," he said simply and the woman agreed.

"So..." began Iris.

"Mama?" called a tiny voice from the stairs.

The adults looked to the top of the stairs where a little girl was holding into the handrail and looking from one to the other, her huge grey eyes staring at her parents warily. Adhie was confused with all the screams but she knew it must be no good, she was still a baby but she knew her mother was always mad at her dad for something he did. The little girl never found the man approachable, as he never stayed around much for her to warm up to him and nowadays; she was growing scared of her mothers' attitude too.

"Hey love, you should be in bed," Sirius said gently walking up to her with the woman behind him and the little girl turned to her mother.

"Adhara, come," called the woman and Adhie held her arms up to the woman.

"Bye-bye?" said the little girl signaling a wave with her hands and Sirius smiled.

"No, love. I'm not going anywhere," the man assured her.

"But we are," Iris stated.

"We're going to spend some time at your grandmother's place," the woman said, holding the little girl strongly in her arms.

"You're not taking my daughter to that place," Sirius stated.

"You lost the right to decide anything for her when you decided that the Potters were more important than her," spat the woman.

"And if you're not going to be with me anymore, then you're not going to have her either," the woman said venomously.

"That's ridiculous, Iris! Come on, Adhie. Daddy will take care of you," called the man reaching for her but as he approached to pick up the little girl, she dodged towards the woman.

"Come on honey, it's daddy," the man tried again, but the little girl remained close to the woman.

The poor little girl stood in her mothers' arms, unsure of what she should do. Adhie looked at her dad, her mind telling her that she shouldn't go to someone she didn't really trust.

Iris laughed maliciously.

"What did you say to her?" accused the man losing patience.

"I didn't have to say anything," replied the woman simply.

"You did all the work yourself," she stated.

"I didn't do anything! You did something," Sirius exclaimed and the woman laughed.

"What did you expect? You're never around her and expect what, that she'll trust you? Frankly, Sirius. You're terrible with children," the woman said with a wicked grin.

"Adhie, honey. It's ok. Daddy will take care of you," pleaded Sirius again, coming across as more desperate than he expected.

The little girl, however, didn't move. She saw the pleading eyes of her father on one side and the scolding eyes of her mother on the other. She was just a year old and did not understand what was happening, only feeling as if she was stuck between choosing someone she didn't trust or someone she was scared of.

Iris walked away with the girl in her arms.

"You can't do that," Sirius exclaimed, walking behind the woman and she smiled.

"I already told you. If you don't want me, then you won't have her either," the woman stated.

"But don't worry, I will raise her well so she will grow up to be the pureblood she was born to be," Iris promised.

"Not a weak, muggle worshipper like her father," spat the woman.

Sirius stared at his former fiancée in surprise, not expecting any of that even in his worst nightmares. Iris had been from Slytherin and was a pureblood, but when the two had got together the man believed he had shown her how none of what she believed made sense. However, Sirius had noticed that she was little by little going back to what she was, her attitude slowly going back to what it was every time she went home to visit her parents. After he realized that she hadn't changed as much as he thought she did, the man decided that he didn't want anything with her anymore. He was not going through this pureblood bullshit again, not after everything he did to get out of it.

And then; before the man even had time to process what was happening, the woman disapparated, taking his only daughter with her.

Little did he know that he wouldn't see her until years later and little did he know, that she was not what he expected.