Chapter 20

The sound of Mai saying Gojo's given name threw you for a loop. Even long-standing friends of his, such as Nanami didn't call the guy by his first name. Your mind grows hazy. Everything you were currently seeing and hearing, tormented you. You didn't want to see any of it anymore. You didn't want to hear any of it anymore. You shook your head and began to think about how silly everything was. And to think that you were just about to confess to the guy.

That brief moment of distress causes you to lose focus, your cursed energy spirals and your barrier breaks as you turn to leave. You walk fast in the opposite direction making the twigs snap beneath your feet loudly.

What you didn't know was that Mai couldn't even lay a finger on the white-haired sorcerer. He had his infinity stopping her from touching him. But due to the poor lighting, distance and angle, you couldn't tell.

Gojo's eyes perk and he says your name under his breath. He felt your presence nearby and now the sounds of the twigs breaking echoed through the quiet terrain.

"(Y/n)?" Mai arches a brow. She hears the noises from within the forest and grins, "Forget about her."

In a few seconds, Mai gets pulled by some type of invisible force away from Gojo. It was likely him using his cursed technique to rid of her. He doesn't say a word to the Zenin twin and instead proceeds to head towards the trees.

"GOJO! HEY!" Mai turns around to watch the retreating male, "WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT HER SO MUCH? WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT HER? CAN'T YOU SEE THAT I'M THE BETTER OPTION?!? SHE'S WEAK!"

Gojo stops in his tracks. He was going to leave Mai hanging but her words offend him. He wasn't going to leave now with her speaking ill of you. He had to put her in her place, where she rightfully belonged. Although Gojo himself, rather the hypocrite when it came to offensive comments could care less right now. He cared about you too much on a deeper level to allow someone to spit such hate towards you.

The white-haired male turns around and for a second Mai thinks she won.

"Small minds discuss people."

Mai furrows her brows at Gojo's remark and he sees the confusion plastered on her face.

"The thing about personality," the white-haired male continues to speak, "is that it has the power to uplift and the power to bless. But, it also has the power to depress and the power to curse. Do you understand, Mai?"

The girl crosses her arms over her chest. She moves her gaze to the side, her face full of contrite. Gojo wasn't just denying her, he was also shaming her. The guy could also use his own advice, if we're all going to be honest.

"Since I'm a teacher—" Gojo continues, "—I'll give you a lesson. The things you say about others, say a lot about you."

Mai turns to face the first-year mentor, her mouth parts slightly wanting to retort. Wanting to defend herself and wanting to justify her actions. But Gojo, doesn't allow it. He raises a finger at the girl to signal that it wasn't time for her to speak and then continues his lecture.

"Everyone's competition, am I right? You'll take any length to succeed without regards to your companions. Your needs are always a priority, that is your deep-seated conviction. You want admiration and adoration? Do you feel sorry for yourself?"

Gojo's words cut deep and Mai's expression turns into complete shock. This was going to be more than an eye-opener for the girl.

"Suffering is caused by ignorance. You inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of your own happiness and satisfaction. You want to know why (y/n) is the better choice? She's quite the complete opposite. If it means she can help a friend in need, she will gladly take the suffering."