Chapter 45

"It's funny, how much can happen in three months."

They had stayed in New Orleans, even though they'd been skeptical about it, at first.

"You really want to stay?" Amelia had asked Kai, three months ago, when he'd been surprisingly eager to take Kol up on his offer to have them trained. "What changed your mind?"

"We do need to get stronger," Kai reasoned. "I'd hate to be the weakest Heretic. I want to win. I always win. And I have to keep winning. We could train at that fight gym, it's a good place. Keep our magic hidden. Pretend we're regular vampires. Can't hurt, right?"

"You really want to lay low that way? You think it'll be okay, staying here so long?"

"Yeah, it should be fine. What, do you not want to?"

She pursed her lips. "I don't know, you and Kol clearly aren't getting along very well and I don't know how I feel about staying here when he could potentially kill you... again."

Kai flicked his hand as if to say, 'Whatever.' "He won't try it again. Hell, maybe he'll train with us."'

"Would you actually enjoy that?"

"To be honest, not really."

"Well, we probably ought to make a request for who we want to be our instructor before we get started."

Kai shrugged, now seeming apathetic. "Let's see who they give us."

Amelia crawled to sit on his lap. They were in the car, not sure where to head next, and she could see something was bothering him. He could be picky, and for him to not care... it was making her worried. "What's wrong? You look... miserable, to be honest."

Kai shrugged again, his hands looping around her waist. "I don't know how I should be feeling, Meli."

"Well, talk to me. What's on your mind?"

"You're still mad at me."

She winced. "I'm not mad. I'm still a bit hurt, but not mad."

"Are you ever going to be un-hurt?"

Amelia sighed. "I'll forgive you eventually, I swear it, Kai. I understand why you did it, even if it bothers me that you lied. I'm not saying I hate you, or anything. You've tried and tried to be ahead of the game to keep me safe, no matter what it takes. It's... admirable. No one ever fought that hard for me before. Hell, you fought to protect me when my parents were giving me away. The others cared about me, but they wouldn't have minded if I died permanently. I don't think they would have done everything possible to bring me back unless it was convenient for them."

Kai pouted a bit. "The emotions didn't go fully away," he said quietly. "I feel... bad... now that I saw how you reacted. I didn't feel bad initially. But knowing you're unhappy with me makes me hate myself, Meli."

"Kai." She cupped his face. "I don't want you to hate yourself because of this. I just want you to learn that I deserve to know the truth about everything from here on out. Please. Don't feel bad. Just... well, there's no way of putting this lightly... just do better next time."

"I will," he promised. "I'll tell you every step of the chess game next time." He leaned forward, pressing a gentle kiss on her lips. "How about I go and get us someone to drink?"

"Mm, I like the sound of that. I'll find us an apartment to stay in."

Amelia was glad to have the power of compulsion now. She got herself and Kai a very nice studio apartment in a newly built complex, complete with a spacious kitchen, living room, a bedroom area perfect for a couple, and a bathroom that had both a fancy shower and a bathtub. Overall, Amelia's ideal living space, completely free.