Prologue

Opening my eyes I found myself in a dark place that smelled strongly of feces, urine, and extreme body odor. Disoriented and scared, I sat up, frantically looking around to see where I was. Try as I may, it was too dark to see anything beyond shapes, even with werewolf vision.

Somewhere off to my left I could hear something that sounded like chains, followed by a low, pain-filled moan. Alarmed I stood up with some discomfort, then went to take a step but quickly stopped upon hearing the sound of chains bought on by my movements and the feeling of metal around my ankles that burned my skin.

Bending over I touch each ankle, only to pull my hands away quickly once they touch the metal as it burns my fingers with a sizzling sound. "Silver," I whisper in horror upon realizing my situation. "Oh, goddess, how did I get here?"

Thinking hard, I could not come up with any reason that explained how I got here or even when. I shut my eyes tight, balled up my hands, and began to hit my head with the heels of my hands lightly while I thought, yet I still had no memory of how I came to be in this predicament. I was honestly and truly at a loss.

Suddenly a light above me came on and I had to blink quickly while my eyes adjusted. That's when I noticed I was in a tiny, filthy cell. There was no window, no bed, nothing other than a thin threadbare blanket on the floor and a bucket in one corner. As I suspected, I had silver shackles that connected to silver chains attached to silver loops that were embedded in the stone wall behind me.

"Hello, beautiful Aubrielle!" The masculine voice that spoke radiated power and authority. It also held a hint of mockery and some wicked delight.

Frightened, I looked toward where it came from but the man stood in darkness so that I could not see his face. What I could see despite the impenetrable darkness, was his form and he was massive. Not as tall as Cain Clayton, but close enough and nearly just as muscular.

"I just wanted to properly welcome you to your new home. I do hope you make yourself comfortable since you will never see the light of day again!" Having said that, the male releases an evil laugh that has me cringing and wishing I were anywhere but here. He took a few steps forward until the light fell on his face, causing me to gasp in horror when I recognized him.