// thirty-five //

•Doing The Right Thing•

••••••

••••••

T W O W E E K S after Marina's death and the arrest of Nano, summer finally ensued in everyone's lives, parting them away from Las Encinas and its darkness at least for a while. It healed most of their souls, the heat and the freedom from school desks or grades. It healed Laila too, but in her own way.

Although Laila felt happy to move in with her aunt, even more excited for her father to begin his rehabilitation, in a way, the empty space in her heart continued to grow, and Laila hated that she knew who exactly was to blame for that hole. She had been far more hurt than she imagined she would get, and after a fortnight the longing of Guzman began to make her far more restless than she thought.

And Laila thought she'd be fine. She thought she'd forget Guzman, let alone her feelings for him, but it was impossible, at least for now. Laila was used to seeing him every day, whether he talked to her or not. Surely, she didn't miss the times he was bullying her or being mean to her friends like Samuel or Nadia, but even during those times Laila would get to get a glimpse of him, liked it she or not.

Now, as summer began to put them all in a bit different schedules, Las Encinas was closed and instead of enjoying her vacation like she always did, Laila found herself counting the days until she'd get back to Las Encinas. The female hoped that feeling would pass, and it would, sooner or later Jada would be able to bring Laila's mood back up since she promised the two girls would go on a small vacation near the sea, taking Alonso with them, who Laila was going to meet really soon now. Soon, summer would allow Laila to relax, making her forget Marina's death or Guzman's possible grief, Laila hoping she'd be able to stop worrying about a boy who made it clear he didn't want to do anything with her anymore.

Frederick signed documents for his treatment, having to stay in rehab for 3 months or maybe even for longer, making Laila feel proud of her father, who finally chose to do the right thing. Jada sold their flat, and although Laila would've wished to keep it, she knew she had to move on. Nevertheless, Jada bought a one story house in a better neighborhood, far too expensive for Laila or Frederick, but Jada had the money. Besides, the aunt said she wanted to begin something nice in Madrid, perhaps stay there for longer than Frederick's rehabilitation would take time to pass.

Laila felt happy and warmed to her aunt as if having known Jada all of her life. Jada was a good person, she helped Laila cope with her classmate's death with everything she could. However, one thing Laila felt scared of was Alonso. Every time she'd hear Jada talk on the phone with her son, the aunt would always put Laila's needs before Alonso's, and Laila disliked it. She didn't want her cousin to feel disdain towards her, and so Laila voiced her concerns. Jada calmed Laila down that Alonso understands and is only a bit annoyed, but he also knows all the times Jada felt guilty of abandoning her sister's daughter even if she had a father.