// twenty-four //

•Bleed Myself Dry•

••••••

••••••

G U Z M A N H A D N' T E X P E C T E D to end up in a cemetery. He wanted to see himself as brave but it was getting dark and it wasn't like Laila, who had been incredibly quiet as they walked through a bunch of gravestones, looked very comforting. She continued to walk ahead of him, knowing the cemetery far better than he did as she took turns and twists, Guzman having a hard time not tripping over the narrowly put gravestones.

But he followed her. It was the last thing he could've done for a girl who followed him when he asked. Guzman had an idea where she was taking him, after all, if he knew Laila's story it was that she had nobody left but her father. Something told Guzman that Laila was taking him to see their mother, and the thought scared him shitless.

Laila's mother was a big reason why she hated him or Lucrecia. If not the rumors they had started, Laila wouldn't have lived such an awful life. Guzman shivered at the thought of how he was. He had hurt Laila so much and yet she was giving him a chance. She was the better person but he had yet to hear her own demons. Guzman thought he was prepared and when Laila finally stopped in front of the most beautiful gravestone he had seen, he knew that Laila's mother had left a huge hole in her heart.

Laila glanced up at Guzman, but his eyes were solemnly focused on the gravestone. His blue eyes, which were seen only by the dim lamps of the cemetery, continued to read what was written on the stone. Laila knew he was admiring the silver graphite stone, and she knew many used to stop to see. Frederick wanted Victoria the best even after death, even if it cost them their last money. Laila didn't blame him, even if she knew it was only a stone and Victoria wouldn't even see it. "I don't even know why I decided to bring you here," she began calmly so Guzman immediately peeled his eyes off of the stone and met her face profile, her sad eyes resting on her mother's grave.

Guzman smiled slightly, hoping to brighten her mood, because it became his priority and he didn't even realize. "To make me prove it to you that I'm a good person."

Laila mused, looking at the smart-ass sheepishly so Guzman chuckled under his breath. Laila got lost in Guzman a bit. His laugh rang throughout her heart, washing it away with easiness. She knew she could open up to him, and the realization was as shocking as her words, which started to pour out easily. "My dad lost himself when we lost mom," she admitted and he listened, she knew, his blue eyes meeting her own. The lowering sun blinded them both for a second but Laila could see the guilt on his face, the need to fix everything. In a way, she felt good and victorious, more than he could ever realize. "I did as well. I had a panic attack recently."

Guzman widened his eyes slightly, but Laila closed her mouth. She remembered the reason why it happened, and from what she knew, Guzman had no idea. Laila knew he would've opened up about it to her, because she was slowly becoming his moral compass. She hated it, truly, and yet Laila would never push him away anymore. "I mean..." Laila trailed off awkwardly, not knowing how to steer off of the topic, but it was out, and the worsened guilt on Guzman's face made her feel bad. "It's because I was overwhelmed. It wasn't because of you, Guzman, if you feel guilty. I remembered mom, I remembered all the blood I saw. I remember the day I lost her. But especially because I am scared to lose my dad."