// thirty-three //

•The Night She Left•

••••••

••••••

W H E N  T H E  P O L I C E  suddenly bursted into the gym of Las Encinas, one then two then three men and women entering in an orderly manner, Jada was first to notice the unusual people she often met whilst working as a lawyer. The policemen and the detectives continued to look around before reaching one of the teachers and whispering something to them.

Jada watched the teacher's reaction like a hawk, noticing pure shock on the woman's face before Jada glanced around to notice Laila staring at the incoming policemen, her eyes wide and confused. Jada moved to approach her niece quickly, not understanding what was happening or what had happened for these people to come to such a respected school.

Two minutes before the sudden commotion, Laila found herself standing in the middle of the dance floor, not minding the grinding teenagers for once as she tried to search for Guzman with her eyes, still plagued what he had told her thirty minutes after their conversation. Laila felt at crossroads of what to do - whether to take Guzman's advice and allow someone to leave since they clearly didn't wish to be found, or to act a hero and go and find Marina, trying to change her mind.

But then, as Laila continued to ponder like she always did, she was nothing to Marina, hell, Marina knew Laila disliked her. If Samuel was unable to change the redhead's mind, neither would Laila. And yet despite this, Laila couldn't stop thinking about the redhead, for some reason itchy to just drop everything and to punch Marina for hurting everyone. For hurting Guzman.

Laila grunted inaudibly to herself, glancing around but Guzman seemed to be out of her eye shot. So, in hopes to find him again, Laila moved to walk, hating how she felt about the blond, hating how he made her feel, hating seeing the doors to the gym open as one then two, then three men and women entered, dressed in police uniforms.

Laila paused, not wishing for her heart to drop to her heels this much, and yet it happened. What were they doing here? Why did they feel a need to come during a celebration? It clearly wasn't security, Laila was certain, and it wasn't like someone had done a crime?

Many thoughts rushed through Laila's mind, not all good before she watched one of the seeming detectives stop next to Laila's biology teacher, telling the woman something, which caused her to widen her eyes in pure panic. Laila heard her heart in her ears then, turning to look for Guzman for some reason before she bumped straight into Jada, who had come back to her. "What is going on, Jada?" Laila asked in fear, feeling her aunt's hand on her arm as the older woman continued to look at more people catching onto the police, the detective with red hair going to the DJ booth to stop the music.

Laila didn't wish to feel this afraid, but police meant nothing good, and especially when they acted this secretly. The music suddenly disappeared so Jada turned to look at Laila's unusually nerved face, the aunt worried Laila felt too afraid for this. However, Jada would've been an idiot to suspect her niece of something before she noticed a policewoman rounding the people. "Let me ask," Jada mused before suddenly blocking the woman's path, smiling nervously as everyone else watched a redhead woman dressed in black climb up the stage with a stressed look on her face. "Excuse me. Jada Rivas... May I ask what is this commotion about?"