Chapter 11

Dylan's POV

The next few days came like a blur. It's time again for my doctor's appointment and by this time, we can be sure of the baby's gender if we wanted to know. While I waited patiently for my turn, Ashley's been quiet and acting a little jumpy. It seemed she's willing to spill whatever'd bothering her. "Are you okay?"

She smiled a me. "Yes of course. I'm just excited."

We have been living with each other for so long so I knew she's keeping something from me. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Fine. Don't worry about it." She was saved from further interrogation when my turn came.

"Hey Dylan, Ash." Dr. Smith greeted. She and my wife were not only colleagues but also good friends therefore the first name basis. "How are you both."

"I'm good. Great actually. Excited to be here and find out more about our baby." I replied with glee. Both of them made eye contact and when Ashley shook her head, it means Dr. Smith knew whatever's bothering me and hasn't told me yet.

"Okay. Let's start. You know the drill." I nodded.

When the cook gel hit my belly, I winced a little, still not used to the sensation. "Your baby's doing fine and I can see the gender. Would you like to know?"

I looked at Ashley and saw that she's not looking at the monitor. It kept me all night wondering the gender of the baby. Even though I like to keep it a surprise, it's making me crazy. "It's okay honey. You can look if you want." I said to Ashley and she looked at the display.

Tears were beginning to form at her eyes. "Do you want me to tell you?"

I shook my head. "Maybe later."

The doctor assured me that everything's fine with my baby. And to come back after another month.

We walked towards the nearby park and sat at an empty bench. There, we watched a couple of families having a good time. I remembered the first time that we brought Mikey in the park. He's such a shy boy.

My vision went to the woman pushing a stroller that's coming towards our direction. The bench was wide enough to accommodate at least five people and were sitting at the other end so she took a seat at the other. "How far along are you?" The mother asked.

"Just past twenty weeks." I replied. How about your child?

"He's three months."

"He's such an angel."

"I know." Then a little girl carrying a doll followed by a man came towards them. "Hey Nancy. Did you wore off your father running?"

"Yeah! Dad's getting old. He couldn't catch me anymore." The little girl said. Based on my estimation, she's around four or five.

Then the infant started crying. The mother got some milk but the baby seemed not hungry. "Here mommy... give NanNan to him so he won't cry." The girl held her doll.

"No honey. Dolls are for girls. Your little brother's a boy. He doesn't need a doll."

I was about to say something when Ashley hold my hand and shook my head. "Come on let's go."

"Okay." We then left the family alone and walked around. "That father's so wrong." I said. "There's no such thing as gender specific toys. Only age specific... like making sure the toy's nit choking hazard. Other than that, I believe boys and play dolls if they wanted while girls can play cars."

"I know hon. But different parents have different opinions. Let's just let them be." She replied. "I really wanted to talk to you about something. Actually two things."