Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty (Julian)

I couldn't believe Adam didn't mention being gay to his parents.

I figured they'd already known, but at the same time, Adam did mention that they weren't around too often. I had a feeling this was about to be a very unpleasant visit.

I was just glad my family agreed to let Adam stay with us. I was surprised when Newell had spoken up for me when we got into the argument back at the house.

"He's already involved," Newell had told them, "Sending him back home and trying to forget he exists will already create a deadly situation for him. It's best we just keep him here for now. Just keep close tabs so they don't fool around."

Okay, that last part ticked me off. I was turning eighteen in a month. Why did people find it to be their job to treat me like a kid? I was hardly a kid anymore. If anyone was a kid, then it was Newell, but I didn't say that out loud. I had a feeling Newell could get pretty nasty if he was pissed off enough, so I toned down the sarcasm.

Newell sent Xed with Adam, Alexander, and I to pick up Adam's things. I could tell Xed looked anxious about being away from Newell. It reminded me of a puppy being left home alone. How Xed could be loyal and actually take orders from someone like Newell was stunning.

Newell only came up to Xed's waist and he probably only weighted as much as his left arm. Yet, Xed did everything Newell said. He even catered to his meals and fixed the room up just for Newell.

There was so much unexplained loyalty in that relationship that it made me suspicious. Then again, how could it possibly work between them romantically? Newell would shatter to pieces and Xed was definitely the dominant type. While I'm sure the labels didn't exist out of pornos or romances, Xed wasn't the type to lay down and take it.

Not that I was either.

Fuck that.

I did it because that's how I liked it and anyone who said otherwise was getting my foot up their ass.

"This is it." Adam said as Alexander pulled to a stop in front of Adam's house. Adam looked at me before climbing out and I got out with him. Xed stepped out, but only to stand by the car. Alexander did the same, but he looked annoyed about this whole thing. When I mentioned it to Adam, he told me Alexander was just being an overprotective sibling.

Tsk, whatever. He can be overprotective when he stopped humping Vladimir in front of me.

Okay, that was an exaggeration, but I really didn't like their tongue dances either. Talk about ick!

I followed Adam up to his house, but he barely had time to knock when the door flew open and his mother stood in the doorway, looking like she just broke out of a mental hospital. Her dark hair was done up in one of those lazy girly bun's, her eye makeup smudged. She wasn't even dressed. She still wore a wrinkled green pajama shirt and mismatching Happy Bunny pajama pants.

"Adam! Where the hell were you?! Do you have any idea how panicked I was to wake up and not find you home?!" She demanded angrily. Adam hardly seemed shocked by this and gave her a flat stare.

"Thought I left a note... Guess not. I came to grab some of my things, I'm staying the night at Julian's for a couple nights." He said coolly, walking past her as she stepped to the side, her mouth open, but no sound coming out. I grimaced. I didn't know Adam was so cold toward his parents... Or, rather, not cold, but... He was acting the way he did around strangers. His mother looked outside, then at me, then at Adam again as he walked across their neat, middle-class living room. His father, who had been sitting on the sofa, got to his feet too, looking at Adam incredulously.