Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Julian)

The day had finally come.

Halloween. Samhain. Whatever you wanted to call it.

I liked to called it the end of the world, but hey, that's just me.

I sat in the back seat of my parents silver Pontiac Aztek, watching my mother lock up the house as my father came out to the car, twirling his keys on his finger. I sighed and slumped in my seat, resting my head against the window as my father got behind the wheel and my mother came running over, her black fur heels clicking on the cement of our driveway before she climbed into the passenger's seat.

We were all silent, except the radio that played Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I rolled my eyes, but remained silent the whole ride. My parents did their check list of everything that we'd brought with us before I couldn't take it anymore and got out my music player. I pushed my headphones in and blasted Howlin' For You by the Black Keys. I closed my eyes and let myself get sucked into the music as we drove the hour drive all the way to the Gothica manor.

I was half asleep by the time we got there.

But it was definitely a waker upper, no matter how many times you saw it.

The drive way was ridiculously long and even cut through a small forest before it came out on the other side to the circular gravel driveway. The manor was huge and gothic-styled with tall pointed rooves and three good wings to it, making it look almost as big as it did on the inside. My parent parked off to the side where the other cars were settled, most of them super fancy and expensive.

Kipp would have a heartattack if he saw them. His obsession with cars was almost as bad as his obsession with skateboarding.

My heart sank further into the pits of disappointment when I caught myself remembering him and the other guys. I only had the chance to say goodbye today at school before my mom embarrassingly came to pick me up and make sure I got home on time for us to leave.

I got out of the car and trudged miserably behind my parents as we approached the door. We hit the doorbell and waited only a few seconds before the door opened to reveal a painfully attractive butler, who I instantly recognized.

Kristophe Xios. His hair was raven black and cut to the nape of his neck, his bangs sideswept across his face, partially covering his sapphire blue eyes. He was also one of the only vampires I'd ever met without fangs. Well, real fangs anyway. He had porcelain fangs that looked totally real. I never figured out why he didn't have fangs, but I thought best not to ask.

That was like asking someone why they have no penis.

It was just rude.

He greeted us with this mild smile and stepped aside, giving us a respectful bow.

"Welcome to Gothica Manor, Mr. and Mrs. Grey. Alexander has been eagerly expecting you." He added, rising up again and glancing at someone, who came up from behind him to stand at his side. It was Kristophe's twin, Claude. Unlike Kristophe, Claude was always scowling. He looked like he rather eat rotten fruit than be here.

My parents just smiled respectfully, despite Claude's narrowed eyes of annoyance, and came inside. I came in close behind them as Kristophe turned his head to look at Claude, who rolled his eyes.

"Right, luggage. Whatever." He looked like he was in his early thirties, but he acted like he was five-years-old. He brushed past Kristophe, who didn't say another word as Claude went to get our luggage. Kristophe shut the door behind him and led us down a couple hallways before we reached the huge ballroom.