Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Julian)

Seth slammed his fist into Walter's face, causing him to stumble back and hit the fence before piveting off to tackle Seth to the ground, which was pretty easy since Walter was a good head taller than him. I instantly went at Walter, grabbing him by his shoulders and reeling him back, which seemed to catch him off guard as he stumbled back and looked at me in surprise.

His nose was definitely broken from Seth's fist, blood oozing from his nostrils. The scent struck me so hard that it made me blink a few times in surprise. That was my least favorite part about the fighting. The heavy scent of blood drove my senses wild and made my mouth cotton dry, my fangs throbbing in my gums. I held my breath for a moment, then recovered just in time for Walter to come at me.

I gritted my teeth and dodged to the side, then grabbed him by the back, bringing my knee up into his chest, knocking the breath out of him. Walter collapsed to the ground and I tore Seth to his feet, looking up in time to see the others having jumped Adam and Kipp. Adam easily took care of Kurtis and Jack while Kipp swung his skateboard around, cracking it against Richard's flabby face with a disgusting smack sound.

Ian stood closest to the fence, looking uneasy about the fighting. He still hadn't gotten used to it, but he wasn't attacking us, so we avoided him.

I heard a low growl and whipped around in time for Walter to charge at me, wrapping his arms around my waist and slamming me into the pavement. Agony exploded into my skull as my head struck the rock hard sidewalk, a gasp leaving my lips as my vision blacked out for a split second before returning in time for Walter's fist to come flying at me.

I wanted to bare my fangs at him and rip into his skin, the smell of blood suddenly seeming intensified as my adrenaline pumped excitedly. I resisted, though, and rolled away before his fist could connect with my face. I went to try and get up, but he caught my ankle and tore me back down, trying to rip me underneath of him.

"Gross! Get off me, fucking pedophile!" I snarled, making Walter sputter more useless insults before I kicked him hard in the face. Walter howled as a sickening crack rang out from his already broken nose. He curled up on the sidewalk, clasping his hands over his nose as I scrambled to my feet, jumping at the feel of someone's strong hand on my elbow, but I looked up to see Adam frowning at me in concern.

"Get home," Adam ordered firmly, "Your mom'll kill you if you don't."

"I'm not leaving," I exclaimed in disbelief, "I thought you said--"

"We're leaving too," Adam assured, "I think I saw Bonnie come out and go back inside to call the cops. We're gonna make a run for Kipp's place. Go home and move fast." I hesitated for a split second, glancing around at the mess we'd made of the football players before I nodded quickly. Adam let go of me, giving me a chance to bolt down the sidewalk.

My boots thumped against the sidewalk heavily, my breath coming out in clouds as I dared to glance over my shoulder. To my relief, Adam was telling the truth and already sprinting off with Seth and Kipp to escape the football players, who were struggling to get to their feet. I turned back around and kept running the four blocks to my house.

I ran out onto the lawn just as it was starting to get dark. The pale blue sky had become a dark navy velvety blanket with scatters of silver, sparkling stars. The air had gotten noticably colder too. The lights were on inside as was the light by the front door. I slowed down, catching my breath before I approached the door.

My heart thrumming in my chest, I forced myself to hold my breath and slowly open the door. I poked my head inside, relieved at the warmth before I slowly stepped in, turning to close the door with a soft click.