Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Julian)

I didn't like the idea of someone asking me those things and then lying to me about it.

What was the big idea? Was he just a pedophile or something?

No... A pedophile wouldn't ask me about my family. They'd ask me what kind of underwear I wore. So why did my substitute teacher want to know about my family? Why did it even matter to him? And there was only one way to find out.

If only Mr. Takahashi stayed in one damn place for a second.

The man moved like a quicksand. He was in and out of classrooms so fast that I barely saw him and when I started to go near him, he'd disappear into the crowds. Frustration rose inside me and I was tempted to just flat out give up.

"He's too fast," I told Adam once we reached our final period and he took his seat next to me, much to my relief, "He won't stand still for a second for me to ask." Adam frowned, sitting on his desk, his boots firmly planted on his seat as he chewed on the end of his pen before plucking it past his lips, resting his arms across his knees.

"He probably knows you know, that's why he's dodging you. You need to get him alone." He told me, making me frown as I looked up at him.

"And how do I do that? A single teacher and a single student aren't allowed to be in a classroom alone together." I muttered, referring to another stupid school rule. Although, this one made me sort of glad because, and I'm not saying this because I'm cocky or anything, but the gym teacher really liked staring at me when I ran laps and it made me uncomfortable.

"Do it in the hallway," Adam suggested, his tone calm and not the least bit stressed out, "That way, if he is being a pervert, the cameras will see him... And I'll be watching too." I glanced at him, but the teacher was already walking in and Adam hopped into his seat, popping the pen back in his mouth as he flipped open his sketchbook to doodle. I looked back at the front board as the teacher began the lesson, but it was impossible to pay attention.

I had another creepy pervert teacher to confront. Actually, I never confronted the gym teacher. He was some mass of hairy muscle and even I was just glad I didn't have the class anymore.

I just sat through class, coming up with scenerios of accidentally running into Mr. Takahashi and how I was going to ask him about the fake survey. I should start out casually, so I don't freak him out, I decided.

He wasn't stupid, I remembered.

Mr. Takahashi was pretty smart. I mean, come on. He was Asian and the stereotype was usually right. And, what else did I know about him? Uhm, well, he was a pretty good looking guy, but besides that, I had no idea what to expect from this guy. He acted pretty level-headed and he was really blunt, enough so that sometimes it could be mistaken for rudeness.

I shuddered when I remembered Seth's final words to me before lunch ended.

"You better watch out, Julian. They say those Japanese guys really like tentacle porn. He might have a squid or something creepy living in his basement. Don't go to his house."

"Seth, you're a complete retard."

"Shut up, Kipp."

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms on my desk, burying my face for a while before lifting my hand a little so I could peer out the corner of my eye inconspicuously at Adam, who sat there drawing tattoo designs in his sketchbook, mingling some of our band's songs with graffiti-style writing.

He didn't seem... angry with me over everything that happened. I mean, the thing with Wulf and my parents and my being a vampire anyway. When I mentioned Mr. Takahashi tricking me, though, Adam looked like he was about ready to add Mr. Takahashi to the missing persons' bulletin at Wal-Mart. And while some people may think that's an exaggeration, it was hardly.