Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Julian)

"Julian Alexander Grey! You are grounded! You can forget hanging out with your ridiculous little hoodlum friends because you're going to be locked in this house for a month, do you understand me, young man? You'll even have to take on chores. I'll call Mina up and tell her to take the month off on paid leave so you can do all her work!"

I had to hold the phone a good half foot away from my ear as my mother shrieked into the phone, making the office ladies and a couple students stare at me with raised brows of surprise. Everyone knew my mom as Mrs. Cool and Collected.

Nobody knew she was a fucking harpy at home.

I just stood there and let her rant for a while before she ordered me to attend my detention and come straight home for piano lessons. I really didn't need anymore lessons, I wanted to say in irritation. I'd learned enough and I learned more with my friends than I did with some old human lady.

Then I remembered I wouldn't be playing with my friends anymore, which only made me feel worse.

"You get your butt in that library and you spend your detention doing all your make up work! Right now, Julian!" Click. She hung up on me, without so much as a I love you sweetie, but then again, my mom wasn't like other moms. Other moms encouraged their kids to try harder. Other moms gave out free hugs and kisses, cookies and brownies, invited friends for sleep overs.

My mom hated my friends and the fact that I invited them over once a week infuriated her to no end. I'm sure she'd be super excited to hear they won't be coming over anymore. I frowned at the thought and slammed the phone down into its cradle, earning a dirty look from the secretary.

I stooped and pulled my bag up off the ground, throwing it over one shoulder as I headed for the door to attend my detention in the library with the new substitute teacher, Mr. Takahashi. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked the fact that the guy made things interesting, but he was strict as hell.

I headed down the hallway, yawning again and covering my mouth to hide my fangs when a strong grip caught the sleeve of my jacket and ripped me into the boys bathroom. I barely managed a yelp as a pair of strong hands caught my shoulders and slammed me into a tile wall so hard that it probably would've knocked a normal human unconscious, but it just jarred my brain before I focused in on Adam's face.

I stiffened, but didn't show that I was mentally freaking out for two reasons.

Firstly, I knew this was gonna happen. I had disobeyed the King and he was going to punch my face in. Rules were rules and I wasn't going to run away.

Secondly, Adam was touching me, and looking at me. That alone was enough to give me goose bumps. Was I a masochist? Probably.

Adam held me pinned to the wall good and hard, his hazel eyes locked on me with a dangerously calm stare. He had thrown on his old black army jacket since the school was pretty chilly this time of year and it only made him look more badass.

"If you're gonna hit me, do it." I ordered, sizing him up as I threw his hands off my shoulders. I was taking a pretty big risk with this. Adam was bigger than me. While my muscles were lean and I was sometimes mistaken for being thin, and non-muscled, Adam was obviously physically built for speed and strength. I'd seen him knock teeth out with his right hook before and I really, really did not want to lose my fangs.

My mom was grounding me for a month because of a detention.

What would she do if I lost my fangs?

"You mistook what I said earlier." Adam said at last. I blinked, then frowned at him suspiciously as I clenched my fists at my sides, keeping my back against the wall.