Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Julian)

 I was officially having one of the worst Halloweens ever.

The suit for the opening ceremony that my parents had bought was snug and deep black with a light blue shirt underneath that I was supposed to button and close with a tie, but I left the top few buttons opened and the tie was still lying under my bed in one of the guest rooms.

I stood against one of the walls, my hands in the pockets of my black slacks, one leg drawn up as I leaned against the wall, eyes narrowed as I tried my hardest to remain invisible. It was hard when family members and other clans members were approaching me to ask how life was and if I had found a suitor yet.

My mouth hurt from faking all those smiles. I had no idea how my mother managed to do it without getting caught. I sighed, lowering my head miserably.

I missed my friends.

I was seriously having withdrawals. I had only gotten a chance to say a quick goodbye and talk to you later before we'd left. I wanted to talk to them about the gig that we were supposed to have. I wanted to try and convince them to go anywhere, as gigs were nearly impossible to snag nowadays, especially for such a small town band like ourselves.

I closed my eyes, tilting my head to the side as I tried to imagine what they'd be doing right about now. They were probably lying low after the whole thing with Walter and company. We'd nearly gotten arrested if my mother hadn't of paid off the hospital bills.

Maybe watching horror movies, pigging out on more coupon-bought meals from Beef. The thought made me smile with envy.

"It's about time you smiled for real." My eyes flew open and I looked up to see a man approaching me, my parents hurrying behind him with big smiles on their faces. My heart sank because I had a strong feeling that this man was yet another fiance option that I had to turn down. He wasn't ugly, no, I think that was impossible for our species.

His hair was jet black, indicting he probably came from the Gothica clan. His eyes were also dark and something about him screamed Native American. He looked intelligent and powerful, muscles rippling under his neatly worn suit, a silver tie hanging from his neck. He held a champagne glass with sparkling red liquid inside that meant it was blood wine, something my parents threatened to slaughter me if I ever drank.

"Uh, hi." I greeted uneasily, pushing off the wall and lowering my arms to my sides as I faked another smile. The man smiled in response, but my mother spoke before either of us could add onto our conversation.

"Julian, this is Wulf Xionius. He's a descendent from the Gothica clan," -- I so called that-- "And he's currently single and interested. Mr. Xionius, this is my youngest son, Julian Alexander Grey." Wulf looked at me with eyes that practically glowed. I didn't say anything, just kept my mouth shut, which only seemed to annoy my mother as she elbowed me.

"Don't be shy, Julian." She said to me with enough sugar in her voice to make me diabetic. Wulf smiled, giving his head a light tilt to study my face past my hair.

"It's perfectly all right. I understand. We older people tend to be really boring." He added, making me smile again as my mother chuckled. My father leaned over to whisper something to my mother, who frowned before they excused themselves, which meant I was now alone with this single vampire.

"How old are you, Julian? You look quite young." Wulf commented, taking a sip from his glass. I frowned now, done putting up a mask to please my parents.

"Seventeen. What about you?" I asked, avoiding Wulf's dark, intense eyes. I really didn't like his eyes. They were so dark, they were black.

"I'm reaching my eighty-fifth birthday." Wulf answered, making me flinch inwardly. Ugh, my parents want me to marry someone who's a billion years older than me! There's no way I'd go for it. Not only did this guy look at me funny, like he was trying to intimidate me, but he was ancient. I wouldn't care if he was a few years, but he was a few dozen years and that was out of the question.