Chapter Six

Chapter Six (Julian)

I didn't sleep that night.

I couldn't.

I kept trying to come up with excuses for Adam, or excuses for why I couldn't call him because I knew that if I didn't, he'd track me down at school and tear me apart over it. Just thinking of having to lie to him made my chest ache. I tossed and turned all night, covered my head with a pillow, got up to pace around the small guest room before I came back to throw myself on the bed, burying my head under the covers.

I couldn't wait to get home at the beginning of this trip and now, it was the last thing I wanted to do.

And by the time the morning sun peeked through the dark curtains of my room, one of which spliced across my face, making my skin burn, I realized I was more fucked than I thought I was. I hissed, letting my skin repair itself as I slid out of bed, avoiding the stream of sunlight that had snuck through the curtains.

I changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a black concert t-shirt that had slit openings down the back, so the cool air of the manor gave me goosebumps. I slipped on my fingerless gloves as I finshed packing my things up, tossing my jean jacket onto the bed.

I kinda hoped the car ride lasted longer back home than it did to the manor.

I had finished shutting my suitcase when there was a knock on the door. I slipped my jacket on and went to the door to see Kristophe and Alexander standing there. My stomach sank when I saw Alexander, but he seemed to have forgotten our conversation on purpose as he smiled.

"Hey, I wanted to wish you off." He told me as Kristophe came in silently, picking up mt suitcase. My eyes followed him before I looked at Alexander with a frown.

"Uh, thanks." I muttered. Alexander smiled lightly, tilting his head to study my face before his smile melted. He waited until Kristophe left before he finally spoke.

"Julian, I know it's going to be hard, believe me, but... Things'll get better. I'm sure you'll find someone else you love some day. I found Vladimir. I'm sure your luck will change too." He offered. I almost told him that I didn't want to find someone else, but it sounded childish, so I kept it to myself and just nodded quietly.

I really didn't want anyone else, though. I wanted Adam. He was just a human, and yet, he was so strong. Stronger than anyone I'd ever met and I was both envious and dazzled. He was smart too. Not like a lot of brawny guys at our school, who made up for lack of intelligence with beefy fists. Adam had a good head on his shoulders to go with those iron fists of his. And if that wasn't good enough, he was gorgeous and made every part of my body quiver like Jell-O.

"I'm here for you if you need me," Alexander said at last, realizing that I really didn't want to talk about it anymore, "You can always Skype me or call me or whatever you want, even visit." I nodded and mumbled a quiet 'thanks' that made Alexander smile again before he put his arms around me, holding me tightly before he let go and I went to catch up with my parents.

I came down the stairs to see them smiling at me, ready to head back home. I glanced back up the stairs at Alexander, who watched me with a smile as he waved. After our final goodbyes, my parents led the way out to our car again.

"Once we get back," My mother was saying as we got into the car, "We'll get you a tutor, all right, sweetheart? I'll find the best tutor in Michigan, promise. And if you'd like, I can call your piano teacher back, unless you want a new one. That last one was a little stingy anyway." Right, now she's trying to be nice only because she just crushed all my hopes and dreams.

"Whatever." I answered flatly, lifting my earbuds to my ear as my mother sighed miserably. My father just patted her hand, making me frown as I watched him lace his fingers together with my mother's. She glanced at him out the corner of her eye, a very faint trace of a smile ready to graze her lips as my father openly smiled back at her before he drove us away from Gothica Manor and back toward Silver Stone.