Chapter 29: The Earth King

Hey guys! I hope you're having a good day and that you're doing well! New chapter as always, and after this one, there are only two more chapters left and this book will be DONE! The last two chapters are really GOOD (in my opinion) and I like how this book ends. OH MY GOD, the fact that I will be done with a whole book in a few days is CRAZY. Anyways, I hope you enjoy and happy reading! 

Presenting.......

|The Earth King|

Safiyah 

We continue flying on for about twenty minutes, watching the sky turn into a warm yellow color, and land on a small isle on the lake to figure out our next more. Aang won't stop coddling Appa in hugs. 

"I missed you more than you'll ever know," Aang coos. He's stuck to Appa's head, resting on him. 

I sit next to Toph, throwing pebbles in the lake. "So now what are we going to do?" 

Sokka walks over. "Look, we escaped from the Dai Li, we got Appa back. I'm telling you, we should go back to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll!" 

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara snaps. 

"Pessimism doesn't look good on you, Katara," I joke, and Sokka gestures at me approvingly.

"We can build on it!" Sokka whines. "If we want to invade the Fire Nation on the solar eclipse, we need the Earth King's support!" 

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph adds. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go smoothly for our little gang!" 

"Okay, but we need to try. Or else we can just forget about the invasion," I say truthfully. 

"Long Feng is in control of the city!" Katara urges. "I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us!" 

"I'm with Sweetness," Toph says. 

Aang glides into our group and starts to counter Toph and Katara's argument. "But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth!" 

"See?" Sokka says while hugging Aang. "It's the whole reason we came in the first place!" 

Katara gains a reluctant expression, but Toph gets up. "I don't trust this new positive Sokka. Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he!" 

I look skeptically at Sokka and his face becomes disappointed. "Seriously?" 

"Just checking," I tease. 

Aang squints in the distance, and Sokka runs over to see more of the lake. Katara and I rush over as well, and we see small boats with bright green sails. 

"That's the Dai Li search party," I say. I look at Katara and she sighs. 

"Let's fly."

We rush onto Appa's bare back. Aang tells us to really hold on to his fur this time since flying is going to be turbulent. I climb on last, heart already rushing at an unreasonable rate in fright. 

Holding on to Appa's fur until my knuckles turn white, my palms start to sweat. "Now is really not the time," I snap. I wipe my hands on my pants, and clutch the fur. 

"Here, do you want me to hold you while we fly?" Sokka asks me. He's in the same position as me, but he's more relaxed. 

"You don't even have to ask," I mutter. "I'm going to have a heart attack." Sokka chuckles but puts his arm around my body and holds the fur, so that I'm held down by his arm even if I let go. It slightly puts me at relief. "Thank you."