Chapter 10: So Much At Once

Hey guyyyys! So for today's chapter, I had NO IDEA what to write. Like literally I didn't know what to write that would be worthwhile. So i'm introducing two ocs, girls, who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community (one is a lesbian, the other is bi). BASICALLY, they're just some fun people who are just gonna talk to a clueless Safiyah about sexual orientation. 

DISCLAIMER (HUGE): If you've read the LOK comics, I think there is this snippet of Kya talking to Asami and Korra about acceptance of same-sex relationships in different nations. She mentions that in the 100-year era of the war, the Fire Nation was fully against same-sex relationships. (Yes, Ozai was a huge d*ck). So, nobody knew about them. SAFIYAH IS ONE THE PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW. SO, you'll have to excuse her slightly offensive initial reaction. But, of course, as she talks more with the oc's her ignorance starts to fade and she feels ashamed about how she reacted at first. 

ALSO, I've been thinking of writing a chapter like this for a while, I just didn't know when. Anyways, this encounter could make Safiyah truly think about her sexual orientation. I'm still deciding on whether I should make her bi or not. 

AND FINALLY,  if you happen to be reader of mine who is part of LGBTQIA+ community, let me know if I wrote anything even slightly incorrect, I guess, or just wrote it in the wrong way in terms of representation. (I think that's what I'm tryna say, yeah) ANYWAYS.

Now that that LONG A/N is out of the way.....

Presenting.......

|So Much At Once|

Safiyah

I've been travelling on for about three days. Today is the third day. I've crossed over bridges, gazed over mountain ranges, scuffed up dusty grounds, felt dry heat. 

I have to be honest, buying the ostrich horse was a great move. Ostrich horses never complain, they go long distances, and they're good companions. 

However, I did miss Appa. I started wondering what happened to him after everything. . . . after everything that happened. I can imagine how lonely he feels. 

Now, the same familiar sadness was creeping at my chest, making my posture crouch and my hands grow limp on the reins. 

The ostrich horse groans, which I assume is from hunger or thirst. I climb down and walk in front of it. I pull out a canteen and an apple. 

"I just realized I've been calling you "it" this whole time," I announce while "it" nibbles on the apple. "What do I even call you? I don't know if you're a boy or a girl." The ostrich horse opens its mouth again and I pour some water. "And I'm not checking." I squint my eyes in thought of unisex names that work. "Does Min sound good?" It's almost like Min nods in approval, so I keep it at that. 

Once I find Min has fully finished eating, I climb back onto their back and continue our journey. We continue on for about forty-five minutes when I see a large building standing in the distance, singularly in the mass of land. I consider stopping, since I am craving a nice, hot meal. I did have meat, but I usually cooked it at night, discreetly. 

I gently squeeze Min's sides so that they can speed up, and I direction them to the building. Once we reach it, I stop Min by pulling on the reins. I land on the ground and lead Min next to the doorway. I think about tying them, but that feels extremely constricting. But at the same time, if Min runs away, I'm toast. 

In the end, I decide to just stop overthinking and tie the reins to the building's porch. Not too tight, though. I shoot a last glance at Min and look up. On the hanging sign, the words "Spring Inn" are engraved. I walk up the porch stairs.