41.

He sighed as he listened to the gentle sound of waves splashing against one another. His eyes closed, though he wasn't sleeping. The sky was all shades and hues of purples, pinks, and yellows, making the sparkling water even more dazzling. A light breeze made breath in, then out, turning into a content sigh.

"Darling?"

The man opened his eyes, he smiled upon seeing the love of his life staring right back at him. "Hello, sunbeam.." His love flushed at the use the his nickname, smiling brightly. His love sat down beside him, tucking his legs in, wrapping his arms around them, then laying his head down on his knees. They stared at eachother, his love's eyes as beautiful as ever. Like two pools of chocolate.

Suddenly, his love frowned. He frowned as well. Why was he sad?

"Why do you call me that?"

"Call you what?" He propped himself on his elbows, their cat making her way towards his love. She rubbed herself against his leg and his love petted her.

"'Sunbeam'. Why do you call me that?"

He smiled. What a silly question, "Because, you're like a beam of light in my life when there's darkness. Your the one that makes me happy. My little light of happiness, my sunbeam."

His love continued to frown. What was wrong? Did he do something wrong?

"Sunbeam? What's wrong–"

"He'll never love you, y'know." What? Who was he talking about?

"Who–"

"Hinata Shouyou. He'll never love you. Not again." But isn't he–

"I'm not Shouyou. Not your Shouyou. Just the one you wish you could have. The one from all those years ago." No. No. Nonononononononononono–

"I'm the one that you love. Not the one you wish you wish could love you." Stop it. Stop it. StopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopitStopit–

"He doesn't love and he never will."

"STOP IT!"

Sugawara woke up in a cold sweat, he was panting heavily. He combed a hand through his hair. He inhaled sharply through his nose.

He was in his dorm.
Not the beach.

He was in his dorm. On his bed.
Not the beach, laying on a towel.

He was in his dorm. On his bed. Alone.
Not the beach, laying on a towel. With Shouyou.

Alone. So, so, so very alone.

And he may be that way forever.