40.

One week.

It's been one week since Hinata's been back and he's notice a few things. The most obvious was that his usual homeroom teacher wasn't present. Osamu briefly informed him that she went on a break of sorts after he disappeared.

Hinata ignored the guilt creeping in the back of his brain and tried to pay attention to whatever lesson he was supposed to pay attention to today even though it's likely they've already been over the subject.

And besides, no one was really giving two shits about the monotoned brunet in front of them. Finally, the bell rang and Hinata hurriedly gathered his things. "Hey, Hinata-san?" A voice said from behind him. He turned and scowled. Miya fucking Atsumu. "What do you want now?"

Atsumu stared at him for a few seconds, "Is everything okay?" The world seemed to slow. Hinata blinked, as did the blonde's brother, equally surprised. And the embarrassed look on the other's face was all Hinata needed to know.

He was not dreaming, and Atsumu, Miya Atsumu, his enemy since day fucking one, just asked him about his well being.

Is the world ending? Are aliens about to attack? Who is this imposter Atsumu?

"Are you sick or somethin'?" Hinata blurted out. Which only caused the male to turn even redder, if that was even possible. What the fuck?

Osamu sneaked up behind him, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder, "Who are and what have you done to my brother?" He asked with a scared look.

Atsumu flashed both of them a glare of hate, which made them sigh in relief. There's the Atsumu they knew, "No! It's me! I'm checking in on the stupid shit because Suga asked me to!" Both Osamu and Hinata gave him a deadpanned look.

Osamu looked like he wanted to throw up. And honestly, same, Hinata thought. "You are hopeless." The grey-haired twin muttered, "Can't believe I was actually worried for you." Atsumu flipped him off and turned back to the ginger, who was giving him a disappointed look. "What?" He rolled his eyes.

"You decide to ask me how I was doing because Sugawara asked you to?" Atsumu nodded. Hinata pinched his temples, "Then let me ask you this. Was there an option that you could've just lied to him? You didn't have to ask me?" Atsumu was silent for a second before his face bursted into hues of red. The smaller gave him a look of disgust.

"Si–"

"SHUT!"

***

Hinata sighed as Atsumu ranted on and on about how doesn't have a crush on the ginger's childhood friend. Yeah, sure, whatever you say.

Bokuto and Akaashi glanced at eachother, a bit concerned about their new lunch buddy. Hinata directed his gaze towards him, "Listen Atsumu, I could give less of a fuck about your crush–"

"It's not a crush!"

"–but I'd rather that you don't rant to me about it." It was less of statement and more of a demand. An awkward silence hung the air. "So," Bokuto made an attempt of lifting the stiffness, "Are you okay, Hinata?"

Depends, how would you feel after knowing you were only born to be hated by own fucking parents?

"Oh, I'm fine." Hinata stated simply.

Yeah. Yep, absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about–

"Are you sure?" asked Akaashi.

Yep. As fine as one would be knowing your the sperm your mother should've swallowed. Knowing your the nightmare that never should've happened. Just a burden to everyone around you.

"..."

"Shouyou?"

Hinata flinched at the way Akaashi said his name so softly. His heart fluttered. No. Stop. It will only lead to heartbreak in the long run. You know this.

"I'm fine." He muttered quietly, picking at his now cold food.

The table fell silent once more, knowing those words betrayed the look in the ginger's eyes.