cuppa and records

1989

We both sat down in my living room, sitting down by the heat source a few steps away from us. Listening to the sound of A Hard Days Night, the fire crackled every so often, just letting us be aware of how cosy it was making the room feel. I felt like dozing off, but not while a guest was here.

"I really like this one, always been a favourite," Damon mumbled into his warm cup that I just filled with tea, he had told me that he likes two sugars and I tried my hardest to make it to be the best of my ability. I didn't want him thinking I've gotten worse at making cuppas.

And I Love Her, was now coming to an end and I didn't know what was next. I hadn't listened to this record in absolutely ages!

I looked to my right, about to respond to him, but I found my eyes glancing my eyes over his side profile and noticing that a cigarette tucked gently over his helix, perching behind it. Subsequently, he perceived to look at me, realising I was taking a good look at him. This made him in giggle in one of his signature and synonymous smirks, making me have a million butterflies like I did in high school.

He always had that effect on me, I just appreciated every second that I was with him in the moment. I chose to ignore the butterflies then, but now, they really wanted to make themselves known. My cheeks turned from their light complexion to having pink stained patches.

"Am I that good looking?" Damon laughed, keeping his eyes on my as I forced them on something less distracting; this being the record player. I gulped from slight embarrassment, "I thought I looked quite rough today. Thanks for that love" 

He seemed completely unfazed and remained so confident through out everything. Embarrassment was not an emotion to him. . If someone were to tell him he was 'stuck up' he'd probably laugh and agree, but then probably punch you in the mouth. Whereas me on the other hand, I'd cry. We're different, but that's why I liked him.

I let out a little laugh, "You've still got the same charm you did a few years ago, Dames."

Damon chuckled too, holding his cup in one hands and the other holding his legs loosely to comfort, "You didn't deny it!"

He dropped the cup gently beside him, shuffling closer to me once he did. This made me want to fall asleep even more, he was so warm and comforting. Knowing that I had him around made me feel like I owned the world. And to a friend as I was often jumping to conclusions when he'd look at me like we were more than friends.

"Hey, hey! Layla, look.. you know this one.." Damon jumped up from his comfy situation, I slid to the side as he colourfully sprawled up. He took the record of the turntable and shuffled around to find another one. After fussing with it, he found it.

I covered my face with my eyes and blushed even more once I recognised the song. Can't Help Falling In Love. It was prom, we went together only as friends though. This song was the one we danced to and the thought of it only created the butterflies to flow out even more which made me feel faint with love. Damon danced over to me gently, removing my hands from my face. I looked up to him, he looked so happy but then he gave me a pout, still moving slowly to the side to the starting tune.

"Come on! It's our song!" Damon laughed, I shamefully got up, taking his hand as he lead me closer to the fire. We could now feel the warmth on our shins and lower legs but Damon's warmth a bit less due to him being taller than me. He used the hand was was already clasped with mine to his advantage and held it by our side, preparing a dance.

I laughed being still a little embarrassed, but I know I shouldn't be. With the other hand, he rested it just by my back, holding me close like how he did exactly 4 years ago.

Elvis started singing and we now were both in the positional start the same dance we did on prom. It made me smile with the flooding of memories that overcame me, probably him too. The fact we met a few years later and to lead to this was a complete miracle to me. I rested my head on his chest bodly, hoping that this would be okay, and it was.

"Layla.

"Huh?"

"Promise me if I tell you this you're not gonna fucking let go of my hand and run away. I like it here, so just stay."

How could I be so attracted to his voice? He sounded tired and his movements became limp. We still danced swayed together slowly though.

"Ok, Damon."

He sighed after taking a big breath in. "Layla. I think I'm in love with you."